Changing Spark Plugs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Spark Plugs...

Alright heres the deal I recently Purchased A 97 Trans am about a week and a half ago. Well the same night i bought it the car started missing out really bad like when you punch it from a take off till about 3000 rpm. So i put a new fuel filter on it, and nothing changed. Then i bought new plugs and wires for it and only got the drivers side of the engine put on and it seemed to help alot....So my question is, what is the easiest way to go about changing the passenger side plugs and wires?? (not that it looks like there is any easy way) and when the problem all started i was extremely low on gas so are fuel pumps going out a very common problem at all?? any suggestions on this or ideas of different problems to check for would be greatly appreciated-

-P.s. - I put and new cap and rotor on the car also-
    '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

There are tons of write-ups online about this, and even quite a few on this board, but let me tell you what helped me.

For me, removing the y-pipe was the easiest way. This allows you access to all but #2 cylinder. For that one, it has to be done from the top side, and you have to remove the alternator. That's fine though, because to replace the plug wires, you not only have to remove the alternator, you also have to loosen all the mounts for the power steering pump (I believe it is, might be smog pump, can't remember) because the wires go behind it's piping. Plugs are bad, but the wires are the absolute worst.

Let me put it this way. Regardless of your religion, you better brush up on what is required for forgiveness. Whether it's asking for salvation from your sins, hail mary's, bowing to buddha, or praising allah, you're going to be doing a whole lot of it after doing spark plug wires on an LT1 car. There were sailors with video cameras, camera phones, tape recorders, even shorthanding all the new ways I was using to invent cuss words
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Let me put it this way. Regardless of your religion, you better brush up on what is required for forgiveness. Whether it's asking for salvation from your sins, hail mary's, bowing to buddha, or praising allah, you're going to be doing a whole lot of it after doing spark plug wires on an LT1 car. There were sailors with video cameras, camera phones, tape recorders, even shorthanding all the new ways I was using to invent cuss words
      so true
      1989 TA
      Flowmaster exhaust
      Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
      K&N CAI
      Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

When I changed my plugs and wires, I didn't have to do anything with the power steering pump. I didn't have the exhaust manifolds on, so that may have made it easier to weave the wires under the power steering pulley. I managed to get all of the wires under there in order, and clipped into the retainer so the wires don't touch the pulley.
        95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

sounds like fun witha capital F (or something close to that)

alright guys thanks for the input....Ill just take time and tear into it some time soon...lol wish me luck
          '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Originally posted by AJ52486
            When I changed my plugs and wires, I didn't have to do anything with the power steering pump. I didn't have the exhaust manifolds on, so that may have made it easier to weave the wires under the power steering pulley. I managed to get all of the wires under there in order, and clipped into the retainer so the wires don't touch the pulley.
            I did it the same way, all I had to remove was the alternator. Once that is gone, it is pretty easy to do them, mostly from under the car.

If you have headers it can be easier to get to some of them from the top.
            If you put a little soapy water on the wires they slip into the retainer easier on the passenger side.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
            X