Optispark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optispark

Anyone ever lost one of these? Do they throw a code? Do they simply stop working or do they cause power loss at high RPM first? I am wondering if I need to replace, motor coughs and stops pulling hard at 4k RPM, feels like a timing issue....

Any input would be appreciated.

Also, anyone gone with a rebuilt? They seem much cheaper.

HA HA HA HA!!!!! 2 in the last 6 months. If it is the optical (timing) side it can throw a code 16 and/or 36. If it is the high voltage side, it probably won't throw any codes but run like crap.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

yup, had to do mine a couple of months ago... cap & rotor side was pretty bad. I did not get any codes when I scanned it, but when I replaced the whole opti it ran like never before. I couldn't believe the difference. I took the opti apart and the rotor was chipped and rusted, optical sensor looked fine though.
      1995 Firebird Formula
      (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

I think mines going but I'm not sure. It cut out on me for about a week in the low revs but is acting ok. Any input on that?
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Mine cut out on me too. It was like the ignition switch was turned off and back on. Dash and all. It did it once before but I thought it was the OPTI. I'm going to replace the ignition switch this weekend. Here is Rob's write up on it. See if you have the same symptoms.
          http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/ign...itch_repl.html
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
          X