knock sensor ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knock sensor ?

Where is the knock sensor located on my 99 Z28 I want to unplug it when I go bracket racing. I run high octane gas and a 160 thermostat so I don't think detonation will be a problem. Is there any other downside to unplugging it.

I would not unplug the sensor. Your best bet is to have custom programming done that will allow timing advance without causing detonation which can destroy your motor. You will also throw a check engine light and this will not help you get through emmissions next time around.

Bottom line, the risks are not worth the result. More than likely, your computer will sense the sensor is missing and resort to "safe mode" which will cause it to run like crap simply to get it back to the dealer.

Comment

The computer is not going to retard the timing unless it gets a knock signal. If it is getting a knock signal, you dont want that sensor unplugged, unless your in the mood for a rebuild. So if your running high octane fuel, you shouldnt have a problem. If you want more advance, send the PCM out to be reprogrammed.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

There are two knock sensors on an LS1 and they are under the intake manifold.

I don't know for sure on the LS1 PCM, but I know for certain on the LT1 PCM, if you disconnect the KS, it will default to a program that throws in a TON of knock retard.... as much as 15-degrees. I don't run a knock sensor (solid roller cam), and I don't use my stock PCM for too many things (fuel and spark is on a MoTeC), and without the KS connected to the stock PCM, it retards timing by 3- to 15-degrees.

If detonation isn't a problem, why would you want to disconnect it? I'd rather lose a race than lose a piston.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X