Thermostat v-6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat v-6

I have a 94 Camaro 3.4. I would think the original thermostat is still in it i'm not real sure. After doing a flush and waterpump replacement, my temps are around 180-210 sometimes a little over that sitting at a light or in a parking lot. Several times it has gotten close to 260, got it home with out over heating and checked the fluid in the radiator after cooling and its usually low. 1) not sure if I had the right mixture if there was to much water would that cause the water to evaperate? (checked all fuilds no coolant in them)
    2) would a 160 thermostat help me any at all got one ordered, and do I need to have the cpu re-programmed? if so where can I do that at.
    3) When I first got the car about 2 years ago the coolant never went above 180 but after a flush and pump replacement temps are much higher. Again would a thermostat help me on that? Most folks seem to think my thermostat is bad. HELP would be much appriecated!

Did you fill your reserve tank when you did you flush? I ususally drive around after a flush so coolant can circulate. After a cool down, I check the level.

No, you don't have to get a PCM flash for a 160* thermostat. But you will if you want the fans to switch on earlier and take full use of the new stat.

Your thermostate could be causing the sudden "over" heating, but I would check to see if you have trapped air in your cooling system. Did you bleed it after you were done?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

yeah the reserve was full to cold and there aren't any bleeder screws on the 3.4 v-6. not no programing needed but it would be useful? where can I get it programmed?

Comment

In my 93 V6 Firebird, my car tended to run around 210-220 and would go up higher when in traffic. I finally had enough, I went ahead and bought the manual fan switch from SLP. You really should look into it. Since putting mine in, the temp rarely gets over 180-190. Its easy to put in and only took about an hour. The switch was around 70 bucks and everything about it looks factory. Well worth the money in my mind. Like a few other ppl from here, I made a mounting plate and put it where the ashtray use to go. Just an idea.
        LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

hadn't thought about that. thanks for the idea. are the instructions with the switch?

Comment

Yeah, it comes with instructions and diagrams...its super simple to install. one ground wire to hook up, one plug to plug in, run the harness into the car, and then find a place to mount the switch....its that simple. the most time consuming part of the whole thing is taking getting the pcm out of the way to reach the grommet to run the wires through the firewall. like i said in my earlier post, its about an hour or hour 1/2 start to finish. everything goes in and looks like a factory install. hope this helps ya.
            LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Working...
            X