Tail lights??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail lights??

I just purchased an '01 T/A WS6. There seems to be a slight problem with my tail lights. One is darker than the other. Both are GM parts and all bulbs are functioning. GM only lists one part # for all 98-02 F-bodies, however when calling a salvage yard, they list three different lense shades. Has anybody ran into this problem before? If so, is there a way to designate which lense shade is which? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    James
    2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
    Slp Lid
    K & N Filter
    FTRA Kit
    Corsa Cat-back

I know on mine the passenger side is a good bit darker than normal...but I figured its just because it was used when I bought it. The driver side I bought new...I didnt think too much of it, I just figured that over time it'll get dark like the other one. But for GM to make the lenses in 3 different shades...sound unlikely to me. Who knows, they have done stranger things.
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

I replaced my driverside with a new assembly two years ago due to a crack from an accident. I bought from YearOne and no, the shades are exactly the same. Only one part number.

You can tell the driverside is new because the back up lense (the clear area) is clearer than the passenger side. The passenger side is slightly darker in brown tint...due to aging.

When you say darker shade, are you comparing and contrasting when the bulbs are burning or when they are off?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I can look up the part# later on ...
        Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Comment

It doesn't matter if the lights are on or off. As far as GM making three different shades, I don't believe that either, but they do often change suppliers that make their parts, which could in turn vary in materials, thus changing the darkness of their lenses.

I appreciate the help on this. Thanks a lot.

James
          2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
          Slp Lid
          K & N Filter
          FTRA Kit
          Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Are you sure the same bulbs are being used in each side? If one has in incorrect number bulb (or bulbs) it could appear different. Checkk to make sure all the bulbs have the correct # on them. Check and see if its possible one of the tail light housings is collecting water. That's not an unusual problem. Is it possible that they need to be polished? The plastic will dull with age, and can be brought back to "like new" appearance with the right polish. For a hazed housing, Meguiar's make a plastic cleaner and a plastic polish that works very well. For a light cleanup, there is Zaino plastic polish.

I suspect the 3 different masks are the clear one for the early V6's, the rectangular one for the 93-97 V8's and the honeycomb for the 98+ cars.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have had both tail lights out of the vehicle. All the bulbs are the same for each application. There is no water entry. The plastic is just plain darker. I have had friends that were following me shortly after I purchased the car that I had a brake light out on the passenger side. That is how much different it looks. You can hold both lenses up to the light and see a significant difference. I'm just paranoid that I'm going to get pulled over because it looks as if a bulb is out.
              2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
              Slp Lid
              K & N Filter
              FTRA Kit
              Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Any evidence of the tail lights being coated with a "blackout" coating, not evenly applied on both lenses?
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

No evidence to show that. It really seems like it is on the inside.
                  2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
                  Slp Lid
                  K & N Filter
                  FTRA Kit
                  Corsa Cat-back

Comment

You have to remember that you are dealing with mass produced items. Not only that, if you have a habit of parking in the same place every day, it's possible to get weathering/fading that is more pronounced from certain angles. I have seen tail lights that for whatever reason don't weather/age the same, one lens looks a little darker than the other. Could even be the lack of a good seal around the bulb housings that allows dirt and contaminants to enter the lens assembly too. There are many factors, the bottom line is that it can happen. If you're really anal about the car, replace the darker lens to match the other one.

Comment

I'm afraid that's what it is coming down to.
                      2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
                      Slp Lid
                      K & N Filter
                      FTRA Kit
                      Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Working...
                      X