Exhaust suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust suggestions

I am looking for opinions on some exhaust systems. The SLP Loudmouth seems to be fairly popular, but seems way too loud for me. Can anybody comment on the Loudmouth 2? I have listened to clips online, but you know how that goes. I am not interested in paying out the nose and SLP systems were right around $400. Any suggestions??
    2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
    Slp Lid
    K & N Filter
    FTRA Kit
    Corsa Cat-back

The LMII is not significantly quieter than the LMI. It rather has a marginally more controlled tone to it, less raw and raspy, a little muffled.

I had a LMII and imho it sounded terrible. All volume and no quality. The net clips are a good idea but they really aren't that effective.

What's your budget? Do you need stainless?

Comment

What F-body do you own. There are differences between tone and volume with the LT1's vs. LS1's. Or do you own a 3rd gen? It's difficult to comment without knowing.

Are you looking for something slightly louder than stock?
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The vehicle is an '01 WS6. My budget is pretty much whatever it takes. I want something louder than stock but not annoying going down the road. Also, performance is an issue. If I'm going to spend a lot of money, then it might as well perform.

Thanks for the help guys.
        2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
        Slp Lid
        K & N Filter
        FTRA Kit
        Corsa Cat-back

Comment

You can get a Corsa system from Jeg's at around $600. Everyone's opinion is different, but I think the Corsa setup is the loudest I would want on a daily driver. Mean at WOT, very well behaved cruising.

Most of the resonator based systems carry alot of resonance/drone in the cabin. I often use my car for 300+ mile trips and there was just no way I was going to be able to stand it. I originally tried a LMII and it was just too much for such trips.

It is also important that you consider what your "endgame" exhaust setup is. Some of the exhaust systems become unbearable with headers / no cats. Even the loudmouth fanboys will admit you have to love punishment to team a loudmouth with headers and no cats.

Comment

Take a look at my impressions on the Magnaflow system. I posted them a few days ago. It's a pretty popular catback. It flows very well, is stainless, is a very good value for the price, and comes with some nice chrome tips. It usually runs for between $400 and $450. Occasionally they'll be offers for less than $400. IMO it sounds good, but is only slightly louder than stock. No drone at all when cruising. They also have a reputation for good fitment.

The only other system I have personal experience with is Borla. System fit was average, but once you get it on there looking right it doesn't matter. Like the Corsa, it's pricey, but flows very well. The one advantage is a built in cutout. Borla comes with block off plates with different size holes so you can adjust depending on the sound/flow you like. Completely blocked off it has about the same volume as the magnaflow. The tips on this one are unique. I think they also offer an option if you don't like the originals. One cool option is to get an electric cutout from Quicktime Performance. It mates right up to the Borla and allows you to adjust the cutout opening from the driver's seat. I had this on my last car and it was a lot of fun.

A cheap, good flowing option is Hooker. They're usually less expensive than Magnaflow. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's alminized steel. It won't last as long as stainless. This is a little quieter than Magnaflow.

You can find more info at www.ls1sounds.com. They list popular options and some comments on some catbacks. Videos and sound clips are "ok" but sound quality isn't enough to base your decision on. Some sound different in real life.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Nobody is suggesting the Borla? I remember when that was "THE" cat-back to get.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                Nobody is suggesting the Borla? I remember when that was "THE" cat-back to get.

I will....I love my Borla. Have had it since 2000 with the full open plate. This summer I put the finishing touch as Joe said with the QTP electric cutout...it'll be a more comfortable trip to Bowling Green this Sept. with it closed for the 12 hour drive and when I get there....let it rip!!
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Working...
                X