Body / Frame Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Frame Restoration

Alright here is my dillema, I have always wanted a IROC-Z28, ever since playing with hot wheels as a kid, Now that I have one I really want to make it a serious street rod. Basicly ive just done enough work to make it run reliably and have a little more power and a nice sound. Problem is I have to slighlty severe spots where my floor is rotted trough and my pinch weld is virtually rusted away to nothing, other then that its not in terrible shape rust wise and iam wondering how hard is it to restore the frame, pinch welds, and body (minor minor rust issue with the bulk of the body). Should I do it my self? will it cost an arm and a leg to have done professionly? Should I abandon my first Camaro in search of a rust free IROC-Z or settle for a newer Z28 iam kinda torn over all this right now, eventually I would like to have an LT1 set up with the rear end from a forth gen and a 4inch cowl (plus various mods in between, sub frame connectors ect ect) any opinions would be appreciated
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z 5.0 TPI Auto (Away For Winter)
    -Flowmaster With 3 Inch SS Tips
    1989 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 TBI Auto
    -65,000 Original KM And No Rust Beater

If it were me, I'd trade up to a rust free car.

The reason I say that is that if your car has rust problems you can see, it has more problems you havent seen yet that are hidden.

You could find someone selling a rust free 3rd gen shell, blast it, paint it white and then swap your car onto it. It would be alot of work, but the result would be nice. Figure $500 for the shell and another $2000 to blast and paint it. Then it's all your labor to transfer everything onto it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
    X