New tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tools

I picked up a few diagnostic tools recently. A set of noid lights, and a couple IAC testers as well as a fuel pressure gauge and a spark checker.

I tested out the fuel pressure gauge. It shows 41 PSI with the key on - engine off. 35 LBS with the engine running and 45 lbs with the engine running and the vacuum line removed from the FPR. I'm happy with those readings.

I also tested the noid light. I unplugged the #2 injector and plugged the noid light in. When I started the car, the light flashed. Simple enough!

I've used the spark checker in the past, it works great too. I'm pretty confident that i'll be able to effectively diagnose any problems I might have with my car in the future.

I've also got freescan loaded on my laptop that should pretty much cover everything else!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Wow...very nice hood!!! Your ride looks awesome!!
    Congrats!
    Dochidalgo
    97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Originally posted by dochidalgo
      Wow...very nice hood!!! Your ride looks awesome!!
      Congrats!
      Dochidalgo

Thanks! It's getting headers soon, I'm just for SLP to get them shipped.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Do you choose the SLP ceramic coated shorties?.....Those would be my option, since I have the Random Tech Y pipe...I don't want clearance problems and I prefer the low range power.
        I would appreciate your personal comments about them

Again, a very nice, discreet and stylish hood, indeed....you have a fine taste..
        Sincerely
        dochidalgo
        97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Yup, I'm going with the SLP ceramic coated headers. They are a mid-length design, not a shorty. I guess some people call them shorties. I chose them for several reasons... the quality and appearance were important to me. I've seen these headers on cars and liked them. I also like the performance gain with the larger primaries and I like that it wont give me any ground clearance or emissions problems. They are 50 state legal. I alos like that they come from SLP because I already have tons of stuff from them on my car. I've always considered stuff from SLP to be of high quality.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            I picked up a few diagnostic tools recently. A set of noid lights, and a couple IAC testers as well as a fuel pressure gauge and a spark checker.

I tested out the fuel pressure gauge. It shows 41 PSI with the key on - engine off. 35 LBS with the engine running and 45 lbs with the engine running and the vacuum line removed from the FPR. I'm happy with those readings.

I also tested the noid light. I unplugged the #2 injector and plugged the noid light in. When I started the car, the light flashed. Simple enough!

I've used the spark checker in the past, it works great too. I'm pretty confident that i'll be able to effectively diagnose any problems I might have with my car in the future.

I've also got freescan loaded on my laptop that should pretty much cover everything else!
            A man and his tools is a beautiful thing!

The injector noid light testers are a very handy tool to have.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              The injector noid light testers are a very handy tool to have.
              The noid light kit was a jackpot find. There is a surplus shop outside town called Delaney's Surplus. It is crazy.... They had a stack of noid light kits that included IAC testers for $10/kit.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

What does the "IAC" tester consist of?
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  What does the "IAC" tester consist of?
                  Here is a pic of the kit... It sells online for $11.99 plus shipping, So it is less expensive then I originally thought but I still got a good deal on it, and didn't have to pay shipping.

The IAC tester is a little thing that plugs into the vehicle harness in place of the IAC and has 2 LEDs on it.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    Here is a pic of the kit... It sells online for $11.99 plus shipping, So it is less expensive then I originally thought but I still got a good deal on it, and didn't have to pay shipping.

The IAC tester is a little thing that plugs into the vehicle harness in place of the IAC and has 2 LEDs on it.
                    Oh, you got one of those kits. Those are good for proving the ground to the injectors and that the PCM signal is getting to the injector, but they don't actually tell you if the injector itself is pulsing. Same with the IAC. Good little tool if taken for what it is.

They actually have fuel injector pulse test probes that are tuned to various frequencies to "listen" for the pintle opening and closing. You just press the probe up against the injector body and a LED will flash each time the injector is pulsed. Pretty cool tool.

Comment

Working...
                    X