Bye-Bye Wheel Locks!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye-Bye Wheel Locks!!

I've been suffering of wheel lock frustration as of late. The lock nuts are starting to wear and I've had a heck of a time getting the adapter off of them. I was rotating the tires the other day and was trying to tighten one. I went to tighten the last one and the adapter slips off the grooves and I ended up clocking myself in the chin. Quite embarassing. Luckily I didn't knock myself out! I would've had a hard time explaining that one.

Well, I had enough and just ditched the damn things! That should be a time saver next time around.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I think your next post will be Bye-Bye wheels. with out locks they will be up for any scum bag that likes them.Locks are cheap. New wheels are not.
    Blazer

Comment

Yeah Joe....I had a similiar experience, but instead of hitting myself in the chin...I busted my knuckles on the concrete when the lug wrench slipped off. Once I got the damn things off, I immediately threw them in the creek behind the house.
      LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
        I think your next post will be Bye-Bye wheels. with out locks they will be up for any scum bag that likes them.Locks are cheap. New wheels are not.
        Blazer
        If somebody wants your wheels enough they're going to get them. I can get a wheel lock off with a socket in an extra 10 seconds.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Well, truth be told, I had always kept the adapter key in the glove compartment. So I don't know how much good it would've done.

I made the decision because I figure I'd rather be able to easily get the wheels off if I'm stuck on the road with a flat. I had one last year. I couldn't get it off because the emergency wrench metal gave a little too much and I didn't have a backup wrench. Thank goodness for AAA I guess. I don't want to rely on it though.

The metal on the locking bolts, like the emergency wrench, is too soft I suppose. Otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. Of course part of the problem is that some mechanics overtighten the nuts too.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

This is the first Camaro I've owned that I intentionally left off the locking lugs. They are nothing but a PITA. Everyone knows that the keys for them are always in the glove box, anyways. You have to keep the key with the car, otherwise you are screwed if you get a flat.

This is also the first Camaro I've owned that I did not install a car alarm on. Nobody pays any attention to car alarms anymore. What is the point of them?

If I was going to do anything at all, it would be a silent alarm with a pager.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
            X