Reserve question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve question

How can I empty my reserve out on my 94 v6 camaro? I have way to much colant in there and its boiling out of the top. The car continues to over heat at 260 (but not every drive). I think i've added to much colant thinking it was low in the radiator, it then go back over to the reserve. Needless to say I don't know what the heck is going on, and I'm lost. I have been dealing with this problem since I flushed the system and replaced the water pump and thermostat. Could it be I put to much in it? Some folks are saying its a blown head gasket.....wouldn't I see a drop in power or performance?

Originally posted by crazycooter
    How can I empty my reserve out on my 94 v6 camaro? I have way to much colant in there and its boiling out of the top. The car continues to over heat at 260 (but not every drive). I think i've added to much colant thinking it was low in the radiator, it then go back over to the reserve. Needless to say I don't know what the heck is going on, and I'm lost. I have been dealing with this problem since I flushed the system and replaced the water pump and thermostat. Could it be I put to much in it? Some folks are saying its a blown head gasket.....wouldn't I see a drop in power or performance?
    A partially blown headgasket will still allow the engine to perform. I would pull the spark plugs and look for signs of coolant contamination. Also a cooling system pressure check could also help. It's possible that there is a small breach somewhere. The cooling system must be pressurized in order to raise the boiling point, it need to be sealed so that as the liquid expands it goes to the overflow bottle. As it cools, the water is drwan back into the radiator. Any small holes or leaks, this isn't allowed to happen and can appear just as you describe.

Comment

took it for a pressure test. just got back. they said they couldn't do it because there was alot of pressure on the hose. they said if I take the radioator off and bring it back they can clean it out. will that help any? oh yeah and it ran under 180 going there and back. this is racking my brains out!!!!

Comment

I have been dealing with this problem since I flushed the system and replaced the water pump and thermostat.
        Could there still be air in the system after flushing it?
        '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

good thought, although in a pervious post i had others thought that, but the v-6 doesn't have the bleeder screws, so i don't know how to get it out if thats the case.

Comment

NAPA sells a kit for $50 that can detect carbon monoxide in the radiator fluid for detecting a head gasket leak or cracked head. It comes with a bottle with a rubber stopper on it and a fluid that you put in the bottle. When cold you take the radiator cap off put some of the liquid in the bottle. Stick the bottle where the radiator cap goes and fire it up. If the fluid changes colors you have a leak.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

all seems to be good now, i got a pump and got some of the coolant out of the reserve and shes running under 180 all the time now just a tad over in traffic. thanks for your help guys.

Comment

spoke to soon! boiling over again this morning after running under 180 the past few days. this is driving me nuts. Its just after is sits a day that it boils over any sugestions besides taking it to a shop? any more help would be great! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by crazycooter
                  spoke to soon! boiling over again this morning after running under 180 the past few days. this is driving me nuts. Its just after is sits a day that it boils over any sugestions besides taking it to a shop? any more help would be great! Thanks
                  Yea see my last post.
                  2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

First check to see if the overflow system is working correctly. Joe explained how it works... when the radiator gets hot, and the coolant expands, the pressure opens the spring in the cap, and some coolant flows out of the radiator to the reservoir. When you shut the engine off, and the coolant cools down, the coolant contracts and the resuling vacuum opens a second spring on the cap, and the vacuum pulls the coolant up the hose from the reservoir, and into the radiator to keep it full and free from air.

If you have a hole in the tube that leads from the reservoir to the radiator fill neck, the vacuum sucks air into the radiator, and you have problems.

You could also have a problem if the spring in the cap or the seals in the cap are faulty. When they pressure tested the radiator, did they also pressure test the cap?
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                    X