1993 - 1996 Delco Radio 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 - 1996 Delco Radio 101

I've been spending some time messing around with these Delco radios. I've got some things to share.

First off... The radio is made of 3 basic components that seperate easily, with no real electronic skill required.

1) The face / display / knobs and buttons

2) The CD mechanism

3) The tuner / amp / preamp

All of these style Delco radios have section 1 and 2 in common. If it is Bose or not does not matter. The components are interchangable.

section 3 differed between Bose and non bose. In my pictures you can see both side by side. The heat synch is the obvious give-away. The Bose has the small heat synch because there is no internal amplifier. The Bose system uses external amps. The more robust heat synch is for the standard non-Bose model with onboard amp.

Any of these Delco radios can be converted from Bose to non-Bose and back by simply swapping out section 3 of the head unit. Pretty cool, huh!

In my Z, I'm running a Bose section 3. It has line level outputs that I run to my Soundstream 5 channel amp. Bridged to 3 channels, running components in the doors and a sub in the trunk it sounds pretty decent.

Here are the pics:

Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

I'm more intrigued by the A&W Root Beer can in the back ground more for some reason. LOL!

Cool stuff...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I wonder how many other GM Radios are this way...

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

That's interesting - so how do I unlock my Monsoon am/fm CD player without having to spend money at the dealer

BTW, I have an oak table just like yours

To be added soon-Firebird Graphic

Comment

TraceZ,

Thanks for sharing the info on the radios. It is quite interesting. Have you identified any good sources for these radios or possibly even the individual components? Like many factory CD players, the one in my car will occasionally get hung up on a CD whereby it makes several strange noises for 30-60 seconds and usually will then eject the CD. Sometimes, it will do the same thing when a a CD is inserted. Maybe I can just replace the CD mechanism.

Brian

Comment

I'd hazard to guess that several other GM radios use the same exact CD mechanism, and it would be fully interchangable. Ebay seems to be a pretty good source for them. I also have info on a electronis repair shop in Florida that has really good prices to rebuild the CD component.

As far as unlocking a radio, I have seen the procedure posted, I just cant recall where.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              As far as unlocking a radio, I have seen the procedure posted, I just cant recall where.
              Yeah, there's a way to do it - I just took it out and put in a new unit - I'm going to look into it one of these days. It would have been nice if the previous owner had written down the code somewhere, so I could have cleared it and put in my own code

To be added soon-Firebird Graphic

Comment

Working...
              X