Fogged headlamp Lenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogged headlamp Lenses

Is lens fogging is a common problem with these? Mine are really getting to look cloudy. I was looking on ebay and I saw a listing for badly fogged-over headlamp housing and they say they can re-polish the lens. Is it possible at all to remove the clear lens part and have it polished clear again? I'd hate to have to replace the entire unit they are expensive. I never heard of polishing headlamp lenses. they look like 1-piece units that do not come apart.

I examined it very closely and it appears to be on the inside. I got some cheap plastic headlight polish for the outside but it really didn't help much.

Do aftermarket headlamp housings' lenses turn cloudy as bad as the stock ones?
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

Is it the inside or outside that is fogged? If it's the inside, you most likely have a bad seal on your housing. Replace that, and clean the inside. You shouldn't have anymore issues.

If it's the moutside, it's most likely pitted from highway driving. You will need a polish that works well on plastics. I believe Zaino would make it nice again, but someone else here may be able to tell you which Zaino product works best on plastics like that.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

I believe it is on the inside. the outside seems smooth. How do you clean the inside?
      Bruce
      01 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
        I believe it is on the inside. the outside seems smooth. How do you clean the inside?
        This problem is exactly what happened to my '01 S-10. Maybe GM had bad bezel seals that year? Either way, I'll tell you what I did to clean the inside...

Basically, I grabbed a thin length of rigid wire (wood may also work here), and taped a soft cloth to the end of it. Make sure to wad the end up in a ball. I then poured a small amount of warm, soapy water into the headlight lens. I cleaned it by moving the stick all around inside, then rinsed the lens with clean water several times.

I dried it using the same method (a new, clean cloth on the wire), and sat it overnight, with the opening downward. It air dried the rest of the way. I had one water spot the next morning, so I just dampened the clean cloth, and touched it up.

Replace the seals with new ones and you're all set.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

no-zaino-about-it. LOL!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

You can also try this Lens Restorer Kit Part No 01218 got it at Car Quest.$5.96. I used it on my girlfriends Mustang back in December an it still looks good. Easy to work with to.I used it on the faded tail lights to. I am sold on it.
            Blazer

Comment

they appear to be tiny scratches when you look up extremely close.
              Bruce
              01 Camaro

Comment

Working...
              X