New car owner need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car owner need advice

Hi guys this is what I am getting.... 1994 Firebird Formula V8.... the car is hunter green and the leather and everything is immaculate. The car has 33 000 miles... Now I am thinking to go ahead with this buy but should I get it checked at a qualified mecanic first ? I checked for the regular stuff... the motor is so clean you can eat off it. The car has a K&N arm and that is it for the aftermarket products. The suspension seems nice and tight and the acceleration is great. So what do you guys think?

I also got some rims to throw on her and I hope they will fit. They are 18*9 ADR Kasai 36mm offset. They have 275/35zr18 Yoko ES-100 tires mounted on them and they are brand new from my previous machine and I am hoping that they will fit. Hopefully without a hub but if I have to I will but a hub on there.

Anyways I thank you for the help and I will become a proud member of this board so you will hear from me for years to come

Welcome, Fish! It sounds like you found a nice low mile ride. I just recently bought a low mile 94 myself.

Does your car have a factory leather interior? Leather was not offerred in 94 until very late in the year. My car's leather is a dealer install.

I assume it is an Auto. What ratio rear end does it have?? Look at the options sticker in the pass side glove box door and make note of all codes starting with G.

3.45 Rear Axle Ratio - GM3
    2.73 Rear Axle Ratio - GU2
    3.23 Rear Axle Ratio - GU5
    3.42 Rear Axle Ratio - GU6
    3.27 Rear Axle Ratio - GW6
    Differential, limited slip - G80

I would recommend starting by checking the car for oil leaks. It was common for these to develop a leak at the rear edge of the intake manifold. If there is a leak, dont let it get you down because it is fairly easy to fix following a technique documented by other members on this board.

Next I would change ALL the fluids. I'd recommend going to synthetic on everything possible. Don't forget the GM addative for the rearend lube.

If you are looking for mods, there are several free ones to be had like disconnecting the TB heat hoses, descreening the MAF and installing a 4.7k ohm resistor in the IAT sensor wire. and then I'd recommend a K&N FIPK along with a high flow catback exhaust. Some other simple ones are an underdrive pulley, and power programmer.

Don't forget to polish with Zaino!
    Have fun!!

Comment

Hi tabahr,

Thanks for the quick reply and usefull information. I will check the differential to see what kind of rear axle ratio I am looking at. I have a question about that although what is the difference between all of those ratios? The limited slip would be rather nice But I don't get what the ratios mean...

The oil leak at the intake manifold is exactly where ? Do you have any pictures I can look at so this could make this easier to find when I go look at it next time?

The car does have factory leather and the seats hold you rather firmly I was glad to see that.

The car already has a K&N arm on it and that is the only mod I can see. This is rather nice since it's an added 200$ hehe .

Anyways thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by Fishv12
        Hi tabahr,

Thanks for the quick reply and usefull information. I will check the differential to see what kind of rear axle ratio I am looking at. I have a question about that although what is the difference between all of those ratios? The limited slip would be rather nice But I don't get what the ratios mean...

The oil leak at the intake manifold is exactly where ? Do you have any pictures I can look at so this could make this easier to find when I go look at it next time?

The car does have factory leather and the seats hold you rather firmly I was glad to see that.

The car already has a K&N arm on it and that is the only mod I can see. This is rather nice since it's an added 200$ hehe .

Anyways thanks for the help I really appreciate it
        intake oil leak info: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4013/ol.html

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

What's the price? Looks like an awesome find!

Check power windows. Those have a tendancy to go out after a while.

Also a good place to start is the 4th Gen F-body FAQ. It'll give you all the basics. You can find a link at www.f-body.org.

Take time to browse boards such as this one. www.camaroz28.com is a good one as well. Lots of info, not all of it completely accurate, but I've learned a lot from them.

Last but not least....if you have a question ask. These guys here are happy to answer even the most basic questions. But maybe you already knew that.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Fishv12
            Hi tabahr,

The ratio is simply how many times the driveshaft turns for every single rotation of the tire. The higher the ratio, the better your mechanical advantage and the more torque you apply to the pavement(makes you go faster). A higher ratio also means higher RPMs at cruising speed.(and possibly lower gas mileage)

Comment

Very useful link....Most of the info applies to '95 Camaro, but there are only a few differences (refer to FAQ)

http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/4th_gen_tech1.html
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
              X