96 firebird v6...stalling, spitting and sputtering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 firebird v6...stalling, spitting and sputtering

Hey Im have been trying to diagnose this issue with my Mom's firebird for about a year or so...It stalls at idle some times and at around 40 and 50 mph it shutters badly. Ive replaces the plugs and wires twice on this now and all other regular tune up items. It does throw a few codes which where, mis-fire in cyclinder 1(which was fixed after new plugs), I also got 2 other codes...MAF or VAF(cant remember what it is the the FB) code, and an aux power code which threw me off...What are some things that this could be...Just need a new maf? Bad fuel pump? Coil pack? Ive searched the forums a little but only came up with the V8 motors...obviously its the 3.8 v6, has quite a few miles on it(in the upper 1xx,xxx)...Thanks for any help

mine was doing the same thing for a long time...i took it to 2 different shops and to the local pontiac dealer....well it finally got so bad that i said to hell with it, i took it to the buick dealer here in town....good news!!! they found the promblem....in my case it was the lower intake gasket that had to be replaced. from what the tech told me, the 3.4's like in my car were known for having this problem.
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Coil pack and module. That's my guess.

Comment

mine was doing the same thing for a long time...i took it to 2 different shops and to the local pontiac dealer....well it finally got so bad that i said to hell with it, i took it to the buick dealer here in town....good news!!! they found the promblem....in my case it was the lower intake gasket that had to be replaced. from what the tech told me, the 3.4's like in my car were known for having this problem.
        ^^ Is that the gasket between the intake mani and the heads?

Coil pack and module. That's my guess.
        I know what the coil pack is. But what is the "module"? Is that the base of the coil pack?

Thanks...its nice to see progress in my diagnoses

Comment

Originally posted by nickouellette

I know what the coil pack is. But what is the "module"? Is that the base of the coil pack?

Thanks...its nice to see progress in my diagnoses
          The coil pack and the ignition coil driver module are sandwiched together. typically if a plug or wire goes bad and left to misfire for any length of time, you can bet the coil and module will fail soon. It would be a good idea to replace them both as one complete unit. Often they can work fine when cold, as soon as the unit warms up, misfires occur.

Comment

Originally posted by nickouellette
            From what I remember the tech telling me...it was the lower intake gasket, so I guess thats what he meant.
            LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              The coil pack and the ignition coil driver module are sandwiched together. typically if a plug or wire goes bad and left to misfire for any length of time, you can bet the coil and module will fail soon. It would be a good idea to replace them both as one complete unit. Often they can work fine when cold, as soon as the unit warms up, misfires occur.
              Yea after I read that I looked it up and kinda figured it out lol...Thanks for the info

From what I remember the tech telling me...it was the lower intake gasket, so I guess thats what he meant
              Interesting..wonder what side it was and why a leaky gasket would cause such a horrible shutter, I mean I know it would effect the air/fuel ratio...well I guess if the leak was real bad it would effect it pretty bad. Her exhaust does smell really lean

Comment

I got the codes checked....

-p0102
                -p0303
                -p0441
                -p1655

Can any one elaborate for me?

Comment

Here ya go !!!

P0102 - MAF, Low input

P0303 - Cylinder #3 misfire detected

P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System, Incorrect purge flow

P1655 - Evaporative Purge Solenoid Control Circuit

Hope that helps.....

Jim
                  2000 Trans Am WS6.... Totally stock...

Comment

Take a look at the attached file....

Jim
                    Attached Files
                    2000 Trans Am WS6.... Totally stock...

Comment

Thanks man...I appreciate it..so, whats every ones take one this, what route should I take from here. Coil pack and module?

Comment

Working...
                      X