car audio install help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car audio install help

hi all i need to pass a 4gauge wire in the firewall need help, maybe somone that has done that already and would help me from scratching my head, this car sure looks realy complicated since it almost like the motor is half way under the front deck

would like help to know what side to send it through, if there is any big holes already or am i gonna have to drill one?? plz help

here you go...

remove the PCM (passenger side under hood)...there is a nice big grommet under there. Simply make a little slice and pass the 4 gage wire through it. Seal it up again with a little silicone, or if you cut the hole just right you may not need it at all. Then under the dash, remove the hardware under the glovebox, and the side rail and kick panel. you will see your wire hanging right there. Literally a 30 minute job at most. Route it all the way back under the trim panels.

Cheers.
    Jason.

Comment

If you have a 4th gen(1993 or higher) then go the way that Jay 95 T/A M6 said. However if you have a 3rd Gen (1982-1992) you are going to have to drill through the firewall. Not really a big deal, but make sure you know what is on the other side when you are drilling. Also be sure to use some sort of a grommet around the wire when it passes throught the firewall. Drills usually leave a sharp edge on the metal and you dont want the metal to cut through the wire!!!

Mark B
      No F-Body right now

Comment

Jay very thanx for teh detailed instructions, but u forgot to mention installing the 4ga AND the RCA from other side both took about 45 min

Mark I appoligize that i totaly forgot to mention my year model it is a 95 V6

it is all done now 2 12s booming speakers running off the HU i need to find and buy some decent wires then ill have to pull the sides apart again install the wires and run the speakers i got off another amp.

one question though, after i installed everything all good and secure, everything looking proper and great, it seems the idle RPM dropped it didnt turn off just drops and then goes back up, i think its almost time for a new alternator, about a week ago i got a new battery and i figured soon enough its alternator time. so what you guys think? its cant be anythin gother than the alternator right? ill have it checked soon.

dont u just hate when one bad thing leads to another?

Comment

I got 2ga to the back with no problem.... Just remember to upgrade the factory ground up front, to what ever you are running. Most times the stock ground will not suffice the added draw.
          Attached Files
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

hmmmm.... mabey I should have gone for 0ga. Since my amp has 2ga in. I think they underrated the amp a little, 250wattsx2
            Attached Files
            1995 Firebird Formula
            (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Get a 200amp alternator and you should be good to go. I like the installation!!! Nice and clean. If your amp is drawing that much power from the battery/alternator one or two capacitors will also help for those peaks. Don't go cheap on them. Also, what battery are you using? I would suggest a yellow top Optima if your going to be using that system at shows or while the car isn't running.

Well done!

KnightFire
              1993 Formula Firebird
              Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Thanks KnightFire! Well, I took the monster old school PG amp out for a little while, because I sold the q-logic box. Ever since I saw the JL Audio 3-10W6 Competition Stealth box, I wanted it. Finally found 1 of them on ebay, but the kid who had it tried to fit larger speakers in it, and butchered the fiberglass. Sooo, I am working on a way to repair the cosmetic fiberglass damage, then get it painted to match the outside, and then the beast goes back in. The system I have is just Insanely clean sound wise. I am using a Sony CDX-C90 up front, not alot of bells and whistles, but sound quality that is unparalleled - only RCA preamp outputs, going to 2 smaller PG amps in the well in the back. As for power, the amp is just insane.... I used to run her on a dual battery setup, with the largest marine battery I could find, and it would pull so much power. I would be at about 10.8 volts at 2,500 rpms, at the front battery!!!! Optima batterys are very nice!
                Attached Files
                1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

Back in my db drag days I had my alternator blown up to a 200 amp. I had a Optima yellow top under the hood and a Stinger SPV44 dry cell battery in the rear in the spare tire well. I also had a Stinger 3 farad supercap. I was also running 3 Rockford Fosgate BD1500.1's at the time. The alternator helped my headlights from dimming alot while I was driving. My voltage would still drop down quite a bit at stoplights and while I was parked that is why I bought the Stinger SPV44 for the rear. I have pictures of my install on www.sounddomain.com/id/mattw7 Also if your interested in wiring I have a friend whos selling all of his stereo stuff he has 20 foot of Stinger 0 gauge for $40 let me know if your interested

Matt

Comment

That's a nice Install man! JL's rock! I made mine extremely stealty though.... there is a cover that matches the interior, and no stickers. I prefer not to advertise.... attracts too much negative attention from today's misguided youth. As for the 0ga wire, I would, but I only use PG wire, and don't want to stray at all. Good deal though! What was your best SPL?

pic of the new box that is being repaired.... 3-10w6 stealthbox from JL.
                    Attached Files
                    1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

with the 2 and the 2 JL 1000/1's i was around a 145 or so when i had the 3 slotported with a bd1500.1 on each one my best was a 154.3

Comment

I got a 142.5 IASCA, and lost in the finals for a local show in the 301-600 watts class, back in 98. Lost to a guy with 6-12" subs in a blazer, with 6 - 50watt cheater rockford amps. After that I gave up trying to compete, just a money game.
                        1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

exactly....iam still in the process of selling my subs and amps to go for speed....i like the people who can make any stereo stuff do well because they realize its all based on enclosures not who has the deepest pockets to shell money out.....cisco guy? what kinda work do u do? i got my ccna certification in march

Comment

cheezer

yup, I pulled the Q-logic sub box out, kept the 2 10w6's sold the box. Just didn't sound right. The correct enclosure is more important than huge subs. I pulled the huge PG amp out too, untill I can afford mods to negate the extra weight. I squeezed 2 JL 6W0's in the rear panels, they didn't sound too well in the doors, too much air leak. The Sony CDX-C90 keeps everything clean.
                            As for my Cisco Certs... If you are on the east coast, tech jobs are few, take what you can get. What can I say, things have changed alot in the last few years. It's flipped 180 degrees. Most jobs with large companies first requirement= 4yr college degree, or don't bother applying. I spent 1&1/2 yrs unemployed. Congrats on the CCNA! Put it to good use before you forget it all.
                            1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

Working...
                            X