best replacement for gm opti 95 LT1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best replacement for gm opti 95 LT1?

doing tune up. wires + plugs and want to replace opti. its stil has the original unit. whats a good replacement.
    thanks,
    ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

I'm not sure what the best replacement is, but I bought a new GM opti for just over $250 including shipping. I bought it from Dal Slabaugh at lockitup@bright.net He works at a GM dealership in Akron, Ohio, and his prices and customer service are great.
    95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Dont use any reman opti's, I went through about 3 in 1.5 years. Always had a random misfire, sometimes there and sometime it wasnt. Also with these you need to install your own cap and rotor kit, which should also be available to purchase..

Another option is to check out MSD's cap and rotor replacement. Jeg's sells them (www.jegs.com) and summit racing should also (www.summitracing.com). I havnt heard any reviews about MSD's version. Not sure of any advantages, But its nice and pretty red.

MSD#
      93-94 8481
      95-97 84811

Doug

Comment

thanks for the info.
        looking into the msd unit only cap and rotor.
        eddie
        1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

My recommendations.... do NOT replace only the cap & rotor. You will be left with an 11 year old back 1/2 of the Opti, containing the optical module, and a really low quality bearing. Either of those can fail at any time.

The jury is still out on the new MSD stuff.....

On CamaroZ28.com LT1 forum, there is a running thread of a rotor failure on the new MSD cap & rotor package. The failed part was sent back to MSD for analysis, and they appear to have changed, or be changing the design.

On the same forum there is a running thread covering the failure of a brand new, complete MSD Optispark distributor.... the problem was caused by excessive deformation of the interior divider between the cap/rotor and the optical sections. It deformed enough to cause the rotor to wobble.

On the same form, there are a couple of issues with the MSD Opti's "adjustable timing" feature. Apparently the unit is not set to "0" at the factory, and there is no way to tell if the unit is set to "0", or if it is set to advance or retard the timing. No pointer or indicator, just a screw that you screw in and out.

There have been a couple reports of failures of the Summit Opti II..... possibly a repacked Accel unit.

Bottom line.... there is no PROVEN replacement for the stock Opti other than the DynaSpark (about $600).

The best bet seems to be to use only the optical sensor, and to feed a black box that can interface with a direct fire coil system. The Bailey LTCC uses 8 LS1-style coils. The Delteq uses a 4-coil waste spark setup from the Northstar engine. I've seen very few problems reported with the LTCC. But there have been a few cars where the Delteq has refused to work.

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

http://www.delteq.com/
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Wow, did not know that about MSD. You would of thought all this would be thoroughly tested before sold.

Also I Second. Do not replace only the cap and rotor. Its a waste of time reusing the old distributor core. I would purchase a Delco complete unit, I purchased one for about $330 for a customer from the dealer.

Also you may want to replace the waterpump at the same time with a NEW one, if it hasnt been changed recently.

Doug

Comment

I bought a Dynaspark a few months ago and it's running pretty good. I had a massive coolant leak right above it, but it never gave up or even "complained" due to it being vented. It's expensive as Fred mentioned, but only costs $36 to rebuild after the warranty is up - but that probably is only for a new cap & rotor.
              94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Optispark II

So the jury is still out on the Accel Optispark II?. I'm thinking about trying it out, plus it's less than half the price for a MSD(only $200.00). If choose to go to O'reiley's auto parts and get the remanufactured($100.00 + core), then I'll just slap some permatex high temp sealer around it.

When I took my old optispark apart it was literaly 1/4 full of water. The lens was rusted and warped.

Comment

Working...
                X