Replacing Drum Brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Drum Brakes

I searched online and found a DIY but i'm having problems just getting the new drum over the newly installed shoes. It's all just a little too tight. I've only done drum brakes once in N2OLT4Birds class and that was almost 3 years ago.

I have the adjuster plate all the way over so that the brakes are as compact as possible. E-brake is not engaged at all and yet no luck. Can get the drum about 1/3 way on and then no luck after that. Am i missing something obvious??

Sometimes you have to loosen the e-brake cable a little if it was adjusted when the shoes were worn. It will stay partially engaged if it was adusted up. That could be your problem.
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

New brakes plus new drums (or even old drums) can be very tight. The drum must go perfectly straight on. If it gets tilted, there is no slack.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
        Sometimes you have to loosen the e-brake cable a little if it was adjusted when the shoes were worn. It will stay partially engaged if it was adusted up. That could be your problem.
        i did that too, but no luck

Comment

i ran into this on my friends gf's tempo... we finally called my friends dad, and he knew exactly what to do. He's old school. I just wish I could remember what it was. It was very simple and made the drum slide right over the pads.... It's so simple I just can't remember exactly what it was.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

If everything else in adjusted/installed correctly, try taking some 40 grit sandpaper to the shoes themselves. Sometimes with aftermarket components they don't always get manufactured correctly, meaning the drums might not have been cut to spec. or the shoes have too much lining on them.
            2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
            Slp Lid
            K & N Filter
            FTRA Kit
            Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Do you mean you had the adjuster actuator link (part# 7 in pic) pushed over? That won't work usually. You need to rotate the star wheel on the adjuster up to completely back off the adjuster. That will "pull in" the shoes just enough to allow the drum to go on.

Comment

Working...
              X