Replacing Driveshaft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Driveshaft

Looking at buying a used LS1 aluminum driveshaft to replace my steel LT1 vibrator.

How difficult is it to replace one? Any special tools needed? Are there any guides out there?

How long would it take a shop to do it?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

4 bolts. It takes longer to get the car up than it does to replace it. If you jack up the back and not the front it won't loose much transmission fluid when you slide the yoke out. Out a drip pan under the tail shaft of the transmission. Unbolt the 4 U joint caps. Slide the drive shaft and yoke out of the trans. Slide the new one in. Put the caps back on.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I managed to get an LS1 aluminum DS off Ebay last fall. Finally brought the car in to have it installed by the pros.

I'm glad I did the upgrade. What a difference it makes. It seems to run a lot smoother and a lot of the vibrations from below are gone.
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
      X