No announcement yet.

Prolly N00b question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not necessarily. There are a few different ways they are used. Twin turbos would be used in place of one large one, The theory is that it's easier to spool two smaller turbos and still supply a large volume of air. You could also run sequential turbos, one small one for quick boost and one larger one that spools up as the rpms climb. Much of the design depends on intended useage, cubic inch displacement, cam, heads, rpm range etc.

Comment

OK cool.. thanks for the help... Seriously, it's REALLY appriciated. Now as far as the transmission goes... I regret to report that I have an automatic transmission... I'd love to have a manual... how difficult would it be to swap into a manual transmission, I realize there will be quite a bit of cutting involved, would it be something I should take to a shop? and is there anything in the wiring of the vehicle that would have to be changed? THANKS!
      1997 Pontiac Firebird (Red) 3800 Series II V6. - No mods yet..

Comment

Originally posted by Wildo83
        OK cool.. thanks for the help... Seriously, it's REALLY appriciated. Now as far as the transmission goes... I regret to report that I have an automatic transmission... I'd love to have a manual... how difficult would it be to swap into a manual transmission, I realize there will be quite a bit of cutting involved, would it be something I should take to a shop? and is there anything in the wiring of the vehicle that would have to be changed? THANKS!
        The biggest problem with an M5/6 conversion is finding parts and the price. I believe there's a kit out there that runs somewhere in the $1,800 to $2,000 range (at least for the V8's). I think DJ Taso had the conversion done some time back.

Also, if you are doing the conversion yourself, try to get access to a lift. I'm sure it could be done while lying on a creeper, but I compare that to chopping down an oak tree with an axe. It's possible, but if you have a chainsaw, your life is that much easier.

The only real experience with an auto to manual conversion I have is with an '86 Monte Carlo SS. My brother changed his auto out for a 5 speed. It's a whole different animal, however.

From what I understand, the work is well worth the end result.
        SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
        Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Believe it or not, I am a fan of an automatic when used with a turbo. Remember, I have a GN and those had 200r4 4 speed autos with lock up converter. I love them because you can keep the turbo a full spool with less overall driveline shock on each shift. The big benefit though is to be able to brake torque and build boost prior to launching.

Comment

My daily driver (03 Buick Regal GS) has the same 3.8L V6 that the camaros have. However, mine came with a factory supercharger. According to the onboard computer I have hit 7.2lbs of boost totaly stock during WOT. If the stock supercharger will put 7.2lbs into the engine. I would think you can go to 8-9 lbs with out even giving it a 2nd thought. Boost is Boost.... weather its supercharged or turbo.

I am sure its been covered... but how about puting a blower from a gp or regal on a V6 camaro or bird? I expect cowl clearance & the fact that the intake opening is in the back dont allow this.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

See... I was told that Auto Trans were better for track... I just like having the control of a manual... What I'm looking for is something good for QuarterMile plus... I'd eventualy like to possibly start drifting w/ it.. (Probably dreaming there but hey..) NEways.. With a turbo'd Engine, would my stock tranny take it? or would I have to upgrade... (Assuming built engine to take oh say 15psi, and street tires)

Comment

And another thing, someone touched on a "remote" turbo system, (Back of the car?) The only bad thing i've heard about them is there's lag.. How bad is the lag if anyone knows? And that really would be eliminated by keeping it spooled before launch, right?

Comment

And another thing, someone touched on a "remote" turbo system, (Back of the car?) The only bad thing i've heard about them is there's lag.. How bad is the lag if anyone knows? And that really would be eliminated by keeping it spooled before launch, right?
                  Lag on a V8 car is minimal, 3.8 should be OK, 3.4 or smaller would be more of an issue. Spooling it via a brake torque takes care of these issues by correct selection of parts including a properly matched torque converter. I've seen a few of them in person, they run just fine when done correctly.

Comment

Cool, and where does it mount like back by the cat or farther back?

Comment

Check them out here:

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Comment

Pretty stinkin' sweet. Thanks! Well, I'll be gone for a while now... so no more noobie questions for a while! You guys'll miss it when it's gone. Thanks a ton and a bunch again!!

Comment

Working...
                        X