pressing bearings into new axles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressing bearings into new axles

I got all the parts for the Moser 9", and want to avoid taking it in to have the bearings pressed on the axles. Would a 12 ton press do the trick? Is this good enough? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33497

Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Yes, but the press is way more than taking it to a shop and simply have the bearings pressed on the axle.

Comment

Thanks Joe. You're right, I changed my mind and found a local shop that does rear end work, so I would think they'd do this. I think I would be better off there. The only worry I had was if it started leaking (like some on cz28), then I'd have to do it all over again and take it in. But I guess it shouldn't leak if everything is installed correctly.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Ya, but when are you going to have a really good excuse to buy a 12 ton press again?
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

That is true! The shop said it's gonna cost around $50 to get them presssed. I can't believe that expensive. I don't know if it's really worth it just to get the press myself, then I wouldn't ever have to worry about it again. The only issue I would have is - is this 12 ton press large enough for these axles. If not, I'd have to get the 20 ton press, which is almost 2x the price - and definitely not a good excuse anymore.

Comment

$50 is about an hours worth of labor. For 2 axle bearings that's about right. You have to pay that guy, the building rent, the tools, the machines, the power bill, the water bill, Building insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, 401k, etc...
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow, an hour's labor? Does it really take that long? Last time I checked on cz28, someone paid $47 including new bearings - $20 for install, $27 for bearings. I guess prices has gone up that much lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                $50 is about an hours worth of labor. For 2 axle bearings that's about right. You have to pay that guy, the building rent, the tools, the machines, the power bill, the water bill, Building insurance, health insurance, dental insurance, 401k, etc...
                Don't forget the coffee and doughnuts lol .

Just take it in. If he screws it up, its on him to get it fixed, not you. Besides, where in the heck would you put a 12-ton press anyways? Have you not seen your garage lately? lol
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Before I take it in, I want to make sure I get the order right - in case they're confused, as well. Does it go:
                  Axle end that goes to tire
                  brake caliper mount
                  shim
                  bearing
                  press ring

Then on the inner end of the axle, towards the center section, goes an o-ring I guess these axles are sealed dry?

Comment

I vote to buy the press! A man can never have too many tools and toys!

Comment

Working...
                    X