FM stereo all static

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM stereo all static

I was driving along the freeway today listening to FM radio, then all of a sudden, it turned to static. All FM channels became static. However, AM works fine. I removed the head unit to make sure all external connections are good, and they were, including the antenna connection. I used a connectivity tester to verify that the antenna is still hooked up from the radio to the fender, and I get a good reading. So I know something's wrong with the head unit. Any other ideas, or do you think this is fixable? This is a stock Delco unit with 10 speakers.

Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

If you have verified the antenna lead is good, it is the radio.

If you stick the metal shaft of a small screwdriver in the antenna hole on the radio that should be enough "antenna" to receive local stations that are close by. If that doesnt work, you know for sure the receiver in the radio is having problems.

Is your radio stock? If it is, look at this thread:
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ght=bose+radio

The receiver is built into the module containing the amp. You could either send that module out for repair, or replace it with one from a different radio.
    I'd start by taking that module apart and seeing if I can identify a broken connection on the antenna socket.

Your car's radio is probably a little different because it is a firebird, I'm guessing. But, the concepts are probably still the same. Hope this helps.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Tracy. I took a wire and did some "testing" by touching it with the antenna and various solder points on the bottom of the board. It turns out, I found a spot, what appears to be a receiver part (has a slot on top where you can turn it with a small flat head screwdriver). Well, I soldered it on and voila, it works. The reception is very good, but nowhere near as before. I could keep the antenna off previously and still get a good signal, but now, the channels only come in clear when the antenna is screwed on the fender. But it still works great, and glad it's a cheap fix
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Good to hear you got it working! Nice job! Did your Pontiac radio come apart in sections the same way I documented the Chevy radios as coming apart?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks, Tracy

Regarding the pics, the CD player looked identical. However, the rest of it was not. I'll bet they used the exact same CD player, but changed the rest - probably minimally though.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            Thanks, Tracy

Regarding the pics, the CD player looked identical. However, the rest of it was not. I'll bet they used the exact same CD player, but changed the rest - probably minimally though.
            Did you take any pictures?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Sorry Tracy, I didn't take any pics. However, my AM radio is pretty weak, so I'm gonna take it apart again soon and get some pics then.

Comment

Working...
              X