Fuel Pump Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Change

What is best way to change fuel pump on 96 firebird Lt1. we had to change the fuel pump because it only geting 20 psi and i started it and started to go out driveway and it died wouldnt start back up so we put new fuel pump in and worked well but we had to cut the stock exhaust and lower rear end down to get tank out then weld exhaust back together it said 4.3 hours to get job done
    1996 Firebird Formula

| Magnaflow Catback | 17x9 Ws6 Rims | Ram Air Hood |

There's two options on the LT1 cars and LS1 cars with steel tanks.

Option 1 is like you did it, except instead of cutting the exhaust, you unbolt it up at the y-pipe. It requires removing all right rear suspension components (wheel, shock, spring, lower control arm, and panhard rod), then exhaust, heat shields, and tank. Suprisingly, even after unbolting the entire back half of the car, removing the tank is still the hardest part. My particular car required some SERIOUS bending of the fuel filler neck, which of course just made it that much harder to get back in. Of course, I did mine in the driveway, on car ramps, and like you, cut the exhaust off. So I had that whole limitation of the ground thing going on. With a lift it is supposedly much easier to do and takes less bending.

Option 2 is the way a lot of people on here do it. You remove the back seat and pull up the carpet exposing the rear hump of the car. Take a grinder and cut a hole, replace the pump, then take a new piece of sheet metal and rivet it back in with sealant on the back of it. Supposedly, this takes less time, but my problem is you're cutting your car up to do something that doesn't require cutting. However, you're not hurting the structural integrity of the car, and you wouldn't ever know it had been done unless you crawled way up under the car and looked for it, as the carpet hides it from the inside and the tank hides it from the outside. There's also several write-ups on the boards about it, so it's safe if you take your time and follow directions. So while it is a viable option, that's not something I was about to do to my personal car.

BTW, the dealer charges like 1,000-1,200 dollars for a fuel pump swap on an f-body (including parts). No thanks!!
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Yeah but someone welded a piece of the exhaust on so we had to cut it was no other way around and i dont like cutting holes $1000-2000 without tow bill either hah my dads a mechanic and it broke down in his driveway that was best part but we got it running after we got it in shop but it was only pushing 20 psi fuel pressure. after we got used fuel pump i got for $100 came off 95 firebird with 41k miles it was only pushing 38 psi what is stock Fuel pressure for LT1?
      1996 Firebird Formula

Comment

Key on, do not start engine. Pressure should rise above 40psi, and hold there for a decent period of time.

Start the engine. Pull the vacuum compensation hose off the fuel pressure regulator (plug end of hose). Pressure should be in the range of 41-47psi, with 43.5psi the perfect pressure. Reconnect the vacuum line and the pressure should drop proportional to intake manifold vacuum. 8psi drop from the "no vacuum" value is normal with a stock cam.

Tape the gauge to the outside of the windshield and take it up to max rpm/max load. Pressure should not drop more than 2psi from the "no vacuum" reading. If it drops below 40psi at WOT, you have a problem.

Obviously, 20psi is no good at all, 38psi with the vacuum line connected, at idle is OK.

You could have bought a new Walbro 255LPH pump for only a little more than you paid for the used pump. I wouldn't go through all the work you did and install a used pump.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah but i wanted to get back on road before monday gotta go back to school we got part same day. but thanks for telling me about this fuel pump were do find this pump at on web?
          1996 Firebird Formula

Comment

http://www.racetronix.com/
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X