Odometer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer

I am looking at a 2001 WS6 and have a quick question about the odometer. Is it possible for someone to disconnect a fuse, break a circuit, etc to falsify the odometer reading? I once knew of a guy with a '91 RS Camaro who would pull a fuse to disconnect his odometer. I have no proof thet there is a problem with the WS6 I'm looking at, I'm just paranoid. CarFax report turns out OK but is only current to 2005....nothing reported since.
    Thanks! Tom
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

i dont know about the ones with lcd display but the other seem easy to stop or change.. i wish GM used something more secure.

But almost any odometer can be rolled back, except for some that store the mileage in more than one place, like mercedes for example i heard that they store and update the mileage in the key fob and PCM .
    I have even seen a cable with software for rolling back OBD2 odometers on ebay, from china , and the guy seems to sell a lot of them according to the feedback!
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

New 4th gens with the LCD display, the mileage is stored in both the display cluster and the PCM. Granted you could swap out both the gauge cluster and PCM to reflect a car with lower mileage, but that would be a lot of hassle. I'm not sure if you can pinpoint if a PCM has serial numbers unique to the VIN.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

If they want to roll it back they will find a way. Your best bet is to be smart about the condition of the car as compared to the odometer. If the odometer says 50k and the engine bay looks dirty enough to be from a 150k mile car, then that should raise a red flag.

Also, do a carfax check on the vin. Everytime a car is brought into the dealer for serivce, is retitled, or inspected, the milage is entered into the DMV database. Carfax will find all of the milages and let you know if it has been rolled back.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Off ebay I purchased a cable and sortware to monitor engine peramiters etc... One of the programmes on the CD was to change the odo reading wrong so so wrong... sadly some people will use this software, I can understand using it if you did a dash change etc... but lets face it the software 99percent of the time is going to be used to con people, totally unfair...
          Ive found Carfax excellent in the past, even found out that my car that was imported from florida has never been anywere near Florida! It was actually imported from New York! and was crashed in New York city within the first week of its life!
          Best bet for milage is take a look at wear and tear of the vehical, wear of seats, pedal rubbers, shift knob, carpets, then make up your own mind if the mileage looks right or not
          Screaming Mad
          Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
          Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
          0-60 7.74
          1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Working...
          X