Delco Stereo Head Unit Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco Stereo Head Unit Lights

It appears that one of the bulbs that lights the face from behind is burned out - the one that would light the lower right section. How do you replace them? I assume I have to pull the unit out of the dash but do I have to take it all apart? Are they special bulbs that i have to order from a dealer, or Delco?

Speaking of bulbs, for the really tiny bulbs how do you pull them out of the socket? For example, on the door panel there is a bulb that lights the power switches. Its a tiny bulb...I dont know the number, but I'd afraid to pull on it too hard because I think it'll break. Or maybe that is better so I can use a needle nose pliers on the inside part of the bulb and pull? I dont know.

Bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

For the radio:

You'll need to remove it, take it apart and solder in new bulbs. The bulbs can be purchased from any delco radio repair facility for a couple bucks each.
    The radio comes apart pretty easily, check out a thread I posted a few weeks ago.

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ht=delco+radio

The last picture in that thread is of the back side of the face. Once you get it that far, just dig into it a little further and you will find the bulbs.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Oh no....thats more than a simple bulb in socket!! Dang. Does the bulb have anything to do with the fact that a speaker is disconnected? I pulled my door panel and am going to replace the speakers, and I removed the right one completely. I figured it sounds like crap already so as long as I was in there I just pulled it till the new one comes in. Immediately after is when I noticed the light not working. I wonder if having an open circuit caused it and if it'll come back when I get the new speaker. I dont know any Delco Stereo Repair Facilities around here. I guess I'll have to find one from the dealer.
      Bruce
      01 Camaro

Comment

You can find replacement bulbs and other parts for your head unit at www.corvetteradios.com. If you can solder, than you should be ok. My first attempt to repair mine had mixed results, but I don't have a lot of soldering experience. My first connections could have been better.

I'm replacing bulbs on a second radio now, and I've learned a few lessons. This should go much smoother.

If you go by the instructions, getting the face plate off is fairly easy. The bulbs are in a circuit card that's held tight to hte face plate by about 7 very small bolts. I used pliers to loosen them last time. Took a while, but I got it off. The bulbs are soldered in, so you just melt the solder and pull them out. And solder the new ones in. It's a little tricky...set aside plenty of time to finish. Use a low voltage iron or a dc iron.

Another option would be to get a used one off of e-bay ($50-$80), but in my experience, it's hit or miss.

You also might want to take it apart and bring it to an electronics repair person to do the soldering if you don't feel comfortable with it.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
        X