Feedback on Engine Swap 305TBI to 350TBI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on Engine Swap 305TBI to 350TBI

I'm thinking of swaping my stock 305 TBI to a 350 and keep the TBI. I would like your past experiences with this type of swap. I was told that everything will bolt in the same excluding the dipstick which will end up on the driver's side versus the passenger. Did anyone have problems after the swap? Did you like the swap or regret it? Thanks for your replies in advance. This swap would be for my 88 Camaro.
    1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
    2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

I think TracyZ did that swap so hopefully he will chime in.But I did 2 v6 to V8s in S 10 Blazers An not that bad. But that all depends on how good of a wrench you are. An how well you are setup to do that.
    Blazer

Comment

Get any feedback?

Looking into doing the same on my 89 firebird formula using my current intake - 305TBI to a 350TBI crate motor from dealer using the intake from the 305 -
      Any advise for my mechanic? Heard I would need these parts:
      350 injectors
      350 specific knock sensor
      350 ESC module
      350 chip
      But friend, old motor head/mechanic says "it just swaps right in"
      Can you help or know of who can?

Comment

Sorry never got to do the swap. Engine runs fine so leaving it alone until it goes bad.
        1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
        2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

350 to 305 tbi is minimal, ditch the stock L03 heads and TBI unite, swap to a 5.0 TPI HO cam and heads, 454 TBI Unit(the tbi units on the 305 and 350 are the same) then look up on thirdgen.org the tuning steps. i had a 88 t/a with a LO3 TBI motor, its gonna be a love/hate relationship with the TBI, but deff go to thirdgen.org and check out the TBI board, alot of information on there for ya, but those are the basic mods besides porting, polishing and adding injector spacers on the TBI unit.
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I've done a V6 to V8 swap in a 3rd gen.

What you are doing, is much much simpler.

Yes, it will nearly all bolt up. The only thing I can think of is you'll need to figure out how to re-program the PCM for the added cubes.

Didn't Chevy sell a 5.7 TBI in a truck? Maybe just get a PCM from one and plug it in? Or get a new chip for your existing PCM.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
            X