Pesky noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pesky noise

for some reason on the driver side rear, there was a noise that sounded much like a tick, like the break rotor was hitting then pads once in every rotation, and it was very loud. So i took that all off, got the rotors cut, took the breaks completley apart, and then put them back together. Now the noise isnt nearly as loud, but how can there still be this problem on the same wheel when i did all of the breaks the same? Theres no way that its just coincidence and that i happened to put that one together rong. No other tire makes noise, so i was wondering what it could be. And when i hit the breaks the noise does go away.. as it did before i did the breaks over. Any help would be great i dont know what to do now
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

It is possible that there is a slight bend to the axle, the brake caliper could be hanging up and not releasing as much as it should be, the rotor although it was turned, could be slightly warped too.

Comment

i dont think its the rotors because i lost track of wat ones went on what sides... and they were cut so im sure there prolly good, the breaks i lubed up befori put them on.. unless theres something with the piston or sumthing, but.. when a caliper goes... what actually breaks?, but the axle bend... wouldnt the breaks move with the rotors rather then seperatly? so it would be bent but not a difference?
      [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
      Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
      11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

Yeah, good guess. If you slid sidways into a curb, or had someone run into the side of your tire, it could bend the axle. Now the rotor and wheel won't run true, but will have a wobble or runout depending on how badly bent.

If this is the case, get the back end up off the ground, and spin the wheels, or have a friend follow you and watch the wheel to see if it has a "wobble" to it. BTDT
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Willy
          Yeah, good guess. If you slid sidways into a curb, or had someone run into the side of your tire, it could bend the axle. Now the rotor and wheel won't run true, but will have a wobble or runout depending on how badly bent.

If this is the case, get the back end up off the ground, and spin the wheels, or have a friend follow you and watch the wheel to see if it has a "wobble" to it. BTDT
          Bingo. Get the car in the air, get the wheels spinning and watch for a wobble.

Comment

Working...
          X