Security light came on while driving?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security light came on while driving?

Here's a strange one..... I've been driving the 93Z as a daily driver for a month now, no problems. As a matter of fact, it's been great. With an M6 and 2.73 rear gears, I've been getting 24-25 combined (mostly rural roads but still stop and go mixed with highway cruising), I got 30 mpg on a highway only trip around the state. The other day, I get into the car and turn the key, nada. The cluster powers up, just no engagement of the starter. I fiddle with the clutch pedal, shifter, tried removing the key and trying again.... nada. Cleaned the pellet resistor and still nothing. No security light, no other symptom except no starter engagement. I switch cars and head out. The next day I try it again and it works perfect. I've driven it for another couple of days and no problems. Today on the way home from work, the security light comes on while I'm driving. The car behaves normal, after a couple of miles the security light shuts off.

Is the VATS taking a dump?

Sounds like it is losing communication with the key pellet.
    If so, could be:
    key
    key cylinder
    wiring between key cylinder and connector under the dash
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Mine does the same thing once every two months or so. The light comes on and it wont let me start the car, so i wait 2 mins then it goes off and away I go

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
        Mine does the same thing once every two months or so. The light comes on and it wont let me start the car, so i wait 2 mins then it goes off and away I go
        Not the same thing. My security light did not come on while I was trying to start it. The security light came on while I was driving down the road and shut off a minute later.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, was it pretty humid outside? Mine acts up like that when driving, but only if its humid outside. However, mine also does the no-start problem, but the Security light does stay on. Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the cylinder for the pellet?
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
            Just out of curiousity, was it pretty humid outside? Mine acts up like that when driving, but only if its humid outside. However, mine also does the no-start problem, but the Security light does stay on. Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the cylinder for the pellet?
            Yep. Sprayed the heck out of it with electrical contact cleaner. I'm just going to let it keep for a bit and see if it continues to act up or if it was just a random glitch.

Comment

If the light does come on again while you're driving, see if it goes away any quicker if you move the key around in the cylinder (obviously not turning it lol ). I've noticed that sometimes moving the key seems to have whatever is loose make better contact. Just a thought.
              Steve

Comment

Mine did the same thing. Actually it was after I did the bypass.

Before the bypass, the security light would come on while driving and go out shortly after. After the bypass, no light at all. One day it decided to come on and stayed on. It never went out for days...so, I pulled the LED.

The car still starts fine and runs normally...funny thing is, I removed the bypass.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr

Before the bypass, the security light would come on while driving and go out shortly after. After the bypass, no light at all. One day it decided to come on and stayed on. It never went out for days...so, I pulled the LED.

The car still starts fine and runs normally...funny thing is, I removed the bypass.
                  It's the attack of the f-body gremlins. That one is interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    It's the attack of the f-body gremlins. That one is interesting.....
                    Stupid gremlins...hate 'em soooooo much!!! lol
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr

The VATS will go into "fault enable mode" if it fails to read the key after the engine is already running. It will allow you to subsequently start the car (though you will have no VATS protection). No gremlins-just the way it works.
                      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

yes, it says the same in the owners' manual..if the light comes on while driving you can still start the car if you turn the engine off, but you dont have the vats security anymore
                        93 t/a A4 3.23s
                        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                        99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                        99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                        97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                        00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Great. Why did you post this today. I get in the car this afternoon, hit the starter and nothing. The dash lights no starter engagement. I turn it off and on several times and nothing. I hit the brake and turn the wheel a few times, try the starter and it fired up. Half way home the security light comes on. It stays on until I pull in the driveway where it went off. I had to go somewhere again and I hit the starter there was about a 1-2 second delay then it fired up. It did it one more time. Then the lat time it was normal. It's never done that before until you posted this. Thanks a lot. LOL I guess it's a matter of time before it dies so that I can find what to fix.
                          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                            Great. Why did you post this today. I get in the car this afternoon, hit the starter and nothing. The dash lights no starter engagement. I turn it off and on several times and nothing. I hit the brake and turn the wheel a few times, try the tarter and it fired up. Half way home the security light comes on. It stays on until I pull in the driveway where it went off. I had to go somewhere again and I hit the starter there was about a 1-2 second delay then it fired up. It did it one more time. Then the lat time it was normal. It's never done that before until you posted this. Thanks a lot. LOL I guess it's a matter of time before it dies so that I can find what to fix.
                            It's Karma!

Comment

Wouldn't ya know it, the dang thing almost left me stranded at work. I was lucky this time and after 10 minutes it did start. I gotta bypass the VATS, I'm not really in the mood to tear apart the column right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X