Suggestions for upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for upgrades

Ok i have a 2000 T/A ls1 Automatic. I am trying to find out a good order to do some upgrades. I want to basically start out with the cheapest yet most noticable power upgrades. A buddy of mine had suggested a shift kit first. Another buddy suggested gears and yet another suggested a tune. A tune would be nice considering i have no way to turn off the traction control(unless someone has an easy fix for this) Please leave suggestions.
    2000 LS1 Trans Am
    1992 GMC Z71 for winter

My Car

you dont have a button for your traction control?

The shift kit and gears sounds like a good mod. Exhaust is the most satisfying tho. Nothing like an LS1 with a nice grumble.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Shift kits and exhaust are very noticeable upgrades that can make your car much more enjoyable to you, but they don't make the car much faster, if at all.

Don't hassle with gears if you have 3.23's. If you have 2.73's it is only really cost effective if you can swap in a 3.23 or 3.42 axle yourself, or are capable of doing the setup yourself.

If you are tight on cash a simple lid and exhaust will keep you ahead of the stockers and give your car some personality.

A tune on a stock car isn't worthless, but it also isn't really worth the cost. Tuning should be done when larger changes are made to squeeze the most benefit out of them. Gears/stall, heads/cam, that kind of stuff.

If you really want the car to be faster then a stall+tune is arguably the best bang for the buck, but it is not a small investment or effort.

Traction control operation can be switched (off by default) using a little $60 SLP module. Or, you can go the free route and pull the fuse. This sets off the ASR off light on your cluster, but a small piece of electrical tape can be placed behind the cluster overlay to block it out completely. This is free, has NO impact on the car, but of course your ASR is totally gone, not easy to turn on as needed.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What lid would you advise on getting. I have looked at several and i have gotten mixed responses.
        2000 LS1 Trans Am
        1992 GMC Z71 for winter

My Car

Comment

Working...
        X