87 Firebird Weel centre cap question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Firebird Weel centre cap question

I have an '87 Firebird which I bought with a couple of the plastic wheel centre caps missing. I bought a set of GM replacements from Ebay but I'm not sure how they are supposed to be fitted.

One of my old caps had a metal ring behind it that seemed to clip it to the wheel, the other didn't. The new set don't have any metal clips supplied, and when I tried one on a wheel it was very loose, to the point that I was worried it would come off at the first pothole.

Can someone tell me how they are supposed to be fitted?

Thanks

There were a few different wheel types, so I'm not 100% sure about each design. Most in that generation have plastic nubs that are around the outside edge that snap on to the wheel center hole. If your replacements are loose, a common trick is to use a small bead of silicone around the entire edge around the nubs. Install the center cap and let the silicone dry. The caps will be snug and not fall off.

Comment

I've recently changed my wheels to a set from a late 80's transam (gold lattice design). The silicone sounds like a good idea. Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2204839

Comment

Ah..... wheel swap. You mean these?

Comment

Yes, they're the ones. Only difference is where the centre part of those are black, mine are gold.

Comment

Those are the 16" '89 turbo T/A wheels. I refinished mine in black for use on my Grand National GNX clone.

For what it's worth, I had to use a little silicone too.

Comment

I had an '89 that had those caps, when you drive a car like that you look around and notice most others you see are missing a cap or two. They are just too heavy for one, and for two, pop off way too easily so people take them.

I don't think there is any reason at all to have to remove those caps (perhaps cleaning) so I used some resin to lock them in place from the back side of the rim. Particularly if you have one that feels loose, you'll want to do something like that.

Unfortunately even with that you should probably watch ebay for a couple spares, I have a theory there's only enough center caps in a given area for maybe 75% of the firebirds, and the owners are just constantly swapping them around.

Comment

OK thanks for the advice guys. Silicone or resin it is!

Comment

Originally posted by andy625
                  OK thanks for the advice guys. Silicone or resin it is!
                  Also consider 3M weatherstripping adhesive. It is similar to silicone but more durable. Epoxy or resin dries hard, if for whatever reason you want to remove the center caps your job will be next to impossible to do without damage. That's why i recommend the silicone or weatherstrip adhesive. It still takes some force to get the cap off, it just won't break..... the adhesive will let go first.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    Also consider 3M weatherstripping adhesive. It is similar to silicone but more durable. Epoxy or resin dries hard, if for whatever reason you want to remove the center caps your job will be next to impossible to do without damage. That's why i recommend the silicone or weatherstrip adhesive. It still takes some force to get the cap off, it just won't break..... the adhesive will let go first.
                    OK thanks Joe, I'll try the silicone approach. I think they had to take the caps off when they balanced the wheels last time, so its probably best if they're not too hard to remove if you have to.

Comment

Center Cap Issue

I also bought some center caps on Ebay, but did not do enough research to discover they were after market ones and had the same issue. I finally went to the dealer and bought original ones and they have the metal clips behind them to hold them right. Now I only buy original equipment from GM or ask the sellers on Ebay to make sure they are OE.
                      1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
                      2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Originally posted by aldaran
                        I also bought some center caps on Ebay, but did not do enough research to discover they were after market ones and had the same issue. I finally went to the dealer and bought original ones and they have the metal clips behind them to hold them right. Now I only buy original equipment from GM or ask the sellers on Ebay to make sure they are OE.
                        Mine arrived with GM stickers on them, but maybe they aren't genuine parts. Never mind, if the silicone works they'll be ok. I'll have to remember that in future.

Comment

Working...
                        X