Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Head Unit, Sail Panel Subs Stopped Working!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Head Unit, Sail Panel Subs Stopped Working!

Hello all,

I just installed a new head unit that I got from Crutchfield. Everything lined up fine on the wire harness, which only has wires for front left and right, and rear left and right. I figured the Monsoon amp would take care of the sail panel subs right?

Well all the speakers work, except for the sail panel subs. Is there some sort of wire that I need to work with, to make them thump?

I called Crutchfield, and the guy on the other end told me I needed to send 12V to a wire on the little plug (I imagine this is the CD changer plug) in order to power up the stock Monsoon amp. I read that the Monsoon amp automatically turns on when it gets enough speaker input.

Any ideas? Thanks!

...Tim

What kind of car?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

97 TA

It's a 97 Trans Am, with the 10 speaker Monsoon system.

Thanks,

...Tim

Comment

The only thing I can think of they possibly sent you the wrong harness (non-monsoon harness) but I don't think that is a possibility.

Your door woofers would stop working if the monsoon amp had a problem, so if it's just the back, something is up.

Does your head unit have a high pass filter or is there any chance the car's stereo wiring isn't stock?

Comment

Hey

Nah its all stock. I have the low and mid cranked to the max. I am going to call Crutchfield again to see if there is anything else they can think of! Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

...Tim

Comment

The only thing I could think of then is perhaps you made a mistake in wiring up the wiring harness to your deck. Hey, you never know.

Like I said if it was an amp power problem your front door woofers would be dead as well. The odds of both rear woofers or rear woofer amp channels going together is very low.

Comment

I'm not fully familiar with the Monsoon system but I assume the stock head unit sends an unpowered signal to the amplifiers. Is your aftermarket head unit sending a powered signal to the amplifiers? If so that power signal may be overloading the amplifiers and shutting them down. Most are not designed to take a high level/powered input. See if there is an option to turn off the internal amplifier in the head unit and only send out a line level signal. I know this is an option on my Alpine head unit.

Scott
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Ya know..

Yah, I'm sure its sending out the full power to the speakers, and there isn't a way to disable that on this stereo. You would think though that if that was the case, and I had the volume down far enough, that the amp would treat that like a low level input?

The Moonsoon amp powers all 10 speakers I believe, not just the subs.

Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Timbers
                  Yah, I'm sure its sending out the full power to the speakers, and there isn't a way to disable that on this stereo. You would think though that if that was the case, and I had the volume down far enough, that the amp would treat that like a low level input?

The Moonsoon amp powers all 10 speakers I believe, not just the subs.

Weird!
                  That would depend on how tolerant the amp is to higher than normal inputs.

The head unit is sending a full range signal? Not crossed over?
                  Do you hear anything from the subs or is it just really soft?
                  My DD
                  2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I ***think*** the Monsoon is similar to the Delco 2000 unit that was used in the early 4th Gen Firebirds. The "sub"-woofers next to the rear seats are run off a small module that tucks into the inside of the plastic sail panel near the floor. The sub-woofers are on a separate ciruit and do not run in parallel with the door low frequency drivers. If the wiring does not supply the signal and possibly power to the module in the sail panel, the subs are not going to work.

Just guessing.... but I suspect the "Monsoon" is either just a renaming or a few minor revisions to the Delco 2000 system.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i noticed there are a few wires that are the same color and do different things. tan and light brown i think. Maybe they got mixed up and the amp doesnt receive anything from the headunit
                      93 t/a A4 3.23s
                      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Timbers - Did you figure this out?
                        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Yes I did, I guess the head unit I have doesn't seem to put out as much thump with the built in EQ settings. When I adjusted the manual EQ settings, which are only LOW, MID, and HIGH, I was able to make the speakers start moving. The range for each is -10 to +10. I had to set mid and high to about -8 and put low on +10. That way it outputs more to low, to make those speakers start working.

Weird huh! But yes thanks for all the help guys.

...Tim

Comment

Working...
                          X