Opinion on wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on wheels

Hi guys, I am looking at these Z06 wheels and want to know if anyone has experience with this company. Quality? Finish? and here is a teaser fit on a 2001 WS6?
    Thanks!
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

AFS, once known as Autumn Fleet Sales, seems to be on the level. I bought my 17x9.5/17x11 ZR1 polished replicas new in box from someone who had bought them from AFS. I've had them for 6 years and they still look like new. Quality is very good, supposedly American made. Not excessively heavy. I've never seen anyone complain about the quality of the wheels. They have a website with more info about their wheels.

http://www.afswheels.com/v2/

17x9.5 56mm offset will fit perfectly on your WS6.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I can echo what Fred says. I've got some AFS polished ZR-1s and the quality is good.

Comment

AFS is one of the better knock offs, but all of the knock offs aren't of the greatest quality. There is a lot of variation but AFS is about as good as you will get on the cheap side. Care is more important than anything because chrome just has too much variation. Even a lot of OEM GM chrome wheels were really, really crappy.

Take good care of them, and if they will see salt you might want to consider using some zoopseal or paint on the insides. The chrome is very thin on the ID of the wheel where salt and brake dust sit, and it'll pit first, along with the corner pockets of the spokes and around the valve stem.

I might recommend that you take a look at simple 5 spoke C5 rims. The simple look comes off very clean on Firebirds. ZO6's seem out of place on birds to many people. C5's are simple enough and they stay true to the form of the car.

GMpartsdirect also sells 35th anniv SS wheels for about 650 I think, if you like the 10 spoke design and want a durable wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by toddwirges

GMpartsdirect also sells 35th anniv SS wheels for about 650 I think, if you like the 10 spoke design and want a durable wheel.
          pffft..... I have a set of Chrome GM 10 spokes. Worst finish I've seen as well as pitting, flaking , etc. I wouldn't get chrome on anything. Polished aluminum holds integrity far better.

Comment

The wheels he's asking about are polished, not chrome. The only question he would need to ask is whether they are clear coated. Without that, any polished wheels will tarnish. My ZR1's are clear coated and look the same as they did when they were new.

Just curious... do you have any evidence that all aftermarket wheels are in some way inferior in quality, or is that just a generalization? Not challenging you on that... just trying to learn.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X