Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasting sub-frame???

Hey folks...

Well, I think I am going to start doin' some work on the ol' 69.
    I want to get the sub-frame blasted, POR15'd, rolling then mount the motor/tranny.

I know people frown on SANDblasting the body but will this be ok for the sub-frame or should I look into another media?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob

Sandblasting the subframe should be fine. The metal is plenty thick so there's no chance of warping it. Are you planning on smoothing it out before you paint it? Or just gonna paint over the pock marked metal(hint, hint)? My car was smooth as glass since it was a west coast car, but when you go to a lot of car shows and see a good looking car, the first thing you can see is the subframe that was just painted right over all the old rust spots. When the cars were new, the subframe was nice and smooth.
    69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
    70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
    2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I figured it would be ok to use sand but just wanted to make sure.

I think I am going to use the POR putty, or something like that so smooth it out before I POR15 it.

Any suggestions?

Rob

Comment

Sand is pretty aggressive. Walnut shells are more forgiving and won't take off any factory seam sealer or filler. It is a little more expensive, but leaves a smoother finish.

Comment

There shouldn't be any seam sealer or putty on the subframe to worry about removing. The guy who is restoring my car took the subframe down to bare metal, then had to do some repairs to fix some of the A-arm mounting holes and cut out, flattened, and then welded back in the crossmember section that always gets dented from being jacked under. He does incredible work and you would never know it was ever done. It just costs $$$, that's all. A real, top notch restoration will cost a minimum of $30K no matter what car you are talking about. I think that POR putty will work good Rob, but don't put it on too think or you'll spend the rest of your life sanding it(I've used it on a few pieces).
          69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
          70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
          2000 SS Camaro daily beater

Comment

Sandblasting the body NO

The thing to use on a body is Baking Soda, this stuff will remove the paint off a Pepsi can with out warping the metal in anyway, also will not hurt rubber seals. Badbob 95Z

Comment

wow another 1st gen Awsome!! what motor and tranny will the car have when your done with it and what color are you going to paint it?. i have a 67 camaro
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"
              1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Hey check out the 69 on this page. The udercarriage is so clean you can eat off it.
                www.mcspeed.com
                1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
                X