Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft Question

Hey all,

While we are fixing the engine (head gasket) we are going to throw in a new cam. My cousin is the one with all of the certified mechanic who is helping me with this. I understood that a good cam can give you a decent HP increase and maybe help save on gas (?). My car is stock with the exception of the Z28 dual exhaust muffler. I was looking for a cam that would be good just for the street. I came up with this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Price really isn't that much of concern right now. How much HP can I expect from these?

Input is GREATLY appreciated!

2002 Firehawk Sold

I don't know much about a cam for a V6, but I don't think you want a flat-tappet hydraulic cam. At least get hydraulic roller lifters.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

all of them are flat-tappet

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
        Hey all,

While we are fixing the engine (head gasket) we are going to throw in a new cam. My cousin is the one with all of the certified mechanic who is helping me with this. I understood that a good cam can give you a decent HP increase and maybe help save on gas (?). My car is stock with the exception of the Z28 dual exhaust muffler. I was looking for a cam that would be good just for the street. I came up with this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Price really isn't that much of concern right now. How much HP can I expect from these?

Input is GREATLY appreciated!
        Years ago most of the camshaft manufacturers would either list a cam as a flat tappet, solid roller or a hydraulic roller. Tappet refers to the lifter itself and not the lobe so it can get counfusing because neither the lobe or lifter is flat on a true flat tappet setup.

A lot of times parts companies, such as Summit, will advertise a hydraulic roller camshaft as a "flat tappet" because the lobes of a roller camshaft are indeed flat. Just a semantical mistake on Summit's part, but that is more than likely a roller camshaft if it says it is for your application.

Never hurts to call and ask a human though.

Do you know the head flow and stock camshaft specs for your motor?

Comment

Working...
        X