catalytic converter & transmission question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalytic converter & transmission question

the only time i've ever had a CAT go out on me the car basically couldn't breathe and moved very slowly. IS there any other way to tell if you have a bad cat? Thank You.

1991 trans am v8 305 TPI automatic

2nd question.

Is this vehicle equipped with the legendary 700r4? if not, then is it a direct fit to the 305 TPI engine? and can anyone share and experince if they put a shift kit in? I think I read somewhere that it extends the life of transmission tremendously. Thank You.
    1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

cat

If the cat is glowing red thats a sure sign its bad.

Comment

I noticed mine started to go bad when I would rev the engine to about 5k rpm, then let the gas up, as the revs dropped I would hear a metallic rattling sound from the passenger side cat. Then gradually I started to notice the sound getting more frequent. I confirmed this by tapping on the pipe just after the cat, and sure enough, the little rattle sound coming from the cat..

Just an idea.

-Erik

Comment

I dont see how a rattling cat which is just a piece of honeycomb broken off inside is going to slow you down any. Just an irritating noise that might get worse.
        94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

if the car cant breath, its most likely a plugged cat. sure what to tell is unbolt the y pipe or remove the cat and see how it does. if its alot better, u kno the problem. also ur car does have the 700R4. it will bolt up to just bout any SBC. depending on the shift kit, depends on how long a tranny will last. more server and forget bout it, its gonna puke sooner rather then later. the factory has the tranny slip a lil so that its not ruff shifting car. just be wise on the shift kit
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

thanx guys
            1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

Working...
            X