Valves =(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves =(

Ok these wonderful valves keep on clickin for 3-4 seconds after I shut off the car. anyone can tell me what to do? Thank you

1991 pontiac trans am v8 305 TPI automatic
    1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

You are saying the valves in the engine are clicking after the engine is shut off? That is not possible. The most common cause of clicking sounds after a vehicle is sut down is the creaks heard from the exhaust expanding or contracting.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Yeah, on the older carbureted cars, it was possible for the motor to keep running even after you turned the ignition off. That is usually caused from detonation by running too low of octane or excessive carbon buildup.

But on a TPI car like yours that has a properly working fuel system, there is no way for the motor to keep running once the ignition is shut off.

If your motor is in fact still attempting to run after you have shut off the ignition, you have some major electrical and/or fuel injector problems as well as some severe detonation.

But I have to say I agree with Tracy that you might be hearing the exhaust "ticking" after it starts cooling down and contracting.

Comment

Yes exhaust cooling after shutdown will make a ticking sound.

Comment

its more like a clicking sound now that i listened closer its for about 10 seconds then it stops .... if it is the exhaust then ... cool ... i was told by someone its the valves ... and now someone else is the lifters .... something about there is still combustion in the engine ... that the fuel thats left over is burning since i have some bad injectors at the moment? thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy
            ... i was told by someone its the valves ...
            Stop hanging around Aggies . . . . . . . . . .
            Darrin C
            '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
            07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
              Stop hanging around Aggies . . . . . . . . . .
              LOL, or whoever it is! You are getting some bad advice.
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

ok. thanx guys. thats why i always double check here cuz all of you are awesome!

Comment

Working...
                X