Just a word of thanks.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a word of thanks.....

Just a word of thanks to "joe1320" for an old post I came across some time ago, which was real helpful in replacing the plugs on my '94 formula.

Not only were the recommendations for tools dead on, but the process as outlined was pretty much the case with my car.

I had been told repeatedly by mechanics that I know, that the job was a real sob (and of course, they were right.....LOL!), and I procrastinated for as long as I could. More than anything I think, that post gave me the confidence to give it a try, and even though I had thought my days of climbing into the engine compartment and positioning myself atop an engine were over at my age, that's what I did, and the results were quite satisfactory.

Biggest problem was getting plug number two back in.....even after I pulled the alternator!!!

Having had success with that, I decided to change out the O2 sensors. The driver side one was no problem, but I'd like to have a talk with the brain surgeon at GM that decided on the location of the passenger side one. Trying to get it from below, even with the starter removed seemed pretty much impossible. I ended up getting it from above with a combination of extension bars, u-joints, and a breaker bar. I had enough pieces to build a bridge to my neighbors yard...but I finally got it.

They should have designed these cars to have a "flip-up" nose. That would have made many of the maintenance procedures which are considered "routine" on most cars, routine on these f-bodies as well. Oh well.......

Thanks to everyone else here too for all the good advice I have read from time to time, and I'm glad to be a new member of the forum!
    '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Welcome aboard . Yes, plugs can be a PITA, but it gets easier the more you do it. I think I'm on my 4th time either doing them or helping with them. I remember the pain of my first time all too well lol .

As for the O2 sensors...you could always put headers on lol. They're a lot easier to get to after that, as are most of the plugs lol.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

ohh....... that post brought back a few memories.

Congrats! It much more satisfying to accomplish the feat yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X