AC Evaporator Core

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Evaporator Core

My AC quit working so i put the dye in and its not leaking under the hood but its leaking inside the car. I was told its the evaporator core most likely.

My question is how do you get to it i am having a hard time getting to it.

oh yea 96 Camaro v6

Comment

anybody know how?

Comment

It could be the actual evaporator core, but it is more common for the expansion valve to leak. It can be replace without pulling the dash and pulling the core.

I don't know the part number of the expansion valve off the top of my head, but I am sure Mr. Part Number ......err Rob (Shoebox) would have that part#. He stays on top of those and is pretty good with them.

Comment

Look on the firewall in engine compartment, where the A/C lines go into the heater box and see if there is an aluminum block bolted to the evaportator. Should be 2 allen head bolts holding it on. If it is there, then you have an expansion valve system. If not its an oriffice tube system.

Average Evaporator Replacement time: 3.7hr

Be sure to have A/C system evacuated and drained before servicing.

Remove right hand instrument panel
          Remove heater core hoses
          Remove instrument glovebox
          Remove heater core assy
          Remove A/C Evap Temp control
          Disconnect Temperature Control cables from heater box assy.
          Remove temperature valve case asssy bolts/screws in engine compartment
          Remove temperature valve case by sliding case downward to disengage upper case clip then remove from under instrument panel.
          Remove expansion valve assy

Using small hand saw. Remove (in one piece) perforated section of heater/a/c module assy.
          Remove evap. bolts and screws
          Slide evap to left and pull out.

Reverse to install.
          Use epoxy glue to attach case back together. let dry. Then use silicone sealant on inside of case for water tight seal.

This is the procedure from the book. Im not sure if theres maybe a more involved way of replacing it w/o cutting the case. Somebody is sure to know.

Doug.

Disclaimer: I am/will not be held responsible for anything broken or FUBARD during this process. Your 100% responsible for anything done. This is just suggestions on how to remove this part. (I know you knew this)

Comment

Working...
          X