Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery problem?

Hello

This should be a minor problem but I don't know what is causing it.

This mornning I went to start my car and when I turned the key and nothing happened. I was confused so I tried again and held the key turned for longer and notice the guage for my battery slowly go up then after 20-30 seconds the car turned on. I drove to work (about 15 mins away) and turned my car off and the batter indicator went down quick. So in the parking lot I tried to restart my car to see if it would start the same way and it did.

It was 9C out today and the battery is just under 2 years old but I have drove my car in the winter for the last 2 years and it has never done that. Last week I replaced the power window switch and fuse for that but other then that the car has been running top knotch (other then a rattle and squeek I can never find )

It was odd because it wasn't like it was trying to turn over it started fine I just had to keep the key turned for 20-30 secs b4 it would go. The last thing I want to do is drive my car with a minor problem untill something major comes out of it.

Thanks
    94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

It sounds like a problem with the ignition switch to me. A dead battery is a dead battery. Holding the key will not cause a dead battery to suddenly regain a charge.

Maybe the ignition switch is getting sticky in the cold and not sliding smoothly like it should. That could cause you to have to hold the key until the switch slowly slid into the correct position to make the proper contacts.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks

I did some reading on this and saw that current goes thru the Starter Relay from the battery to the starter could that also be my problem?

I dont know how a bad Ignition Switch would feel thru my key, I didn't feel anything out of the norm, it turned ok and didn't stick anywhere. Going to go out at lunch and try to start it again, it's a little warmer out
      94 Formula Firebird, 355, heads port and polished, cc503 cam, 30# injectors, PCMforless Tune, B&M 2400 stall, K&N CAI, BBK Sorty Headers, Magnaflow Highflow Cat, Borla Catback exhaust with electronic cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Canuk
        Thanks

I did some reading on this and saw that current goes thru the Starter Relay from the battery to the starter could that also be my problem?

I dont know how a bad Ignition Switch would feel thru my key, I didn't feel anything out of the norm, it turned ok and didn't stick anywhere. Going to go out at lunch and try to start it again, it's a little warmer out
        A bad starter relay would not cause the volts gauge on the dash to act funny.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Here is a update, still cold outside but not as cold.

I started the car up 3 times and it was all normal, I think I will wait to take it in untill it does it again, which will probably be on monday

Thanks again for the info, I like to research into problems so I know what is going on and if I can't do something myself I wont get hosed at the mechanics or I can get parts on my own so it's a cheeper fix

Thanks

Comment

Before you go crazy with the expensive stuff, check the easy cheap stuff first: I had similar symptoms a couple years ago on an LT1-equipped Caprice. The starter was not working, occassionally, and I was convinced it was a bad starter/relay (they are all one unit) Finally gave up, put the car up on a friend's lift to replace the starter- went to disconnect in, and the light-gauge wire that fires the solenoid, that comes down from the starter switch, was less than finger tight. Loose connection was all it was, but it had been giving me fits, almost stranded me a couple times.
            If you recently had the battery disconnected, you might had been wiggling some of those connections..... better have a look.
            2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
            "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

Well it turned out being my starter,

On Saterday I went to start it early afternoon and nothing happened after driving it around all friday night without a hitch. I ended up having to get it toed to my mechanic where he found out it was the starter (no loose connections that he saw) I got it back Monday night.

It's kind of odd though cause I can hear the starter when I turn the car on alot louder now, I don't know how to describle the sound of it. I was wondering is this normal of a new starter?

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X