SS battery finally died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS battery finally died

I'm surprised my stock battery lasted 5 years and it finally died this week.

Does anyone suggest a decent replacement battery, one that isn't too expensive?

What issues can I expect from the computer after the disconnect / reconnect? Will the computer have to learn my driving style again? Shall I haul a$$ to train it right?

I've had very good results with the Delco Professional battery. On the other hand, an Optima Red Top lasted about 6 months.

The computer doesn't "learn" too much more than the long term fuel corrections and learned idle position. It doesn't learn your "driving style". If you disconnect the battery, you will lose those values. The computer will begin to "relearn" immediately on starting the engine, and will continue to learn until you have spent a few minutes of driving in each of the long term fuel correction memory cells, defined by numerous combinations of RPM and engine load (MAP). It may take a week or two for you to actually accumulate enough time in each and every one of the memory cells. The LS1's (appears you have a 2001? - why not add a signature with basic info about your car?) may have some learning associated with the torque management system, but I'm not familiar with the details.

Remember also that if you have the security code activated in your audio system, you better remember it, because disconnecting the battery activates the audio secruity system, and you need the code to turn the system back on.

A simply way to prevent loss of power/memory when pulling the battery is to simply attach a jumper battery to the system, so that power is never lost.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'll second that. I have had good luck with the Delco battery too. Mine is a 2001 with a production date of 7/2000 and it is STILL going...and going...and going like the energizer bunny. And my car has been thru almost 100k miles and 2 winters with temps down to -20f. Its on my list of things to replace before this winter sets in because I seriously dont think it will last another season. I think I have gotten a good long life out of it, and the replacement will definitely be a Delco.
      Bruce
      01 Camaro

Comment

Thanks for the information.

I looked all over town at batteries and bought the Everstart Max at Walmart for about $60.

The car fired right up and ran fine, no issues whatsoever. Even after the reconnect the radio worked fine and the clock still had the correct time.

Comment

How can that happen? When you disconnect power the radio should lose memory. Unless you dont have a stock radio and yours has an internal battery backup? I disconnected the battery cable when I replaced the speakers and I lost my time & settings.

Bruce
          Bruce
          01 Camaro

Comment

Working...
          X