Header and Steering Shaft clearance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header and Steering Shaft clearance

So, after a couple weeks of the headers being on, I'm in love. I love the sound and performance. But, the outside of the #3 tube is rubbing on the steering shaft. When everything is cold, there's a slight clearance between the tube and the shaft with the rounded side pointing toward the tube. After being warmed up though, it rubs on the round sides, but still clears the flat sides. I wanted to try and adjust the shaft some, but its as far down onto the rack that it will go. I've got an LS1 shaft I want to put in (also eliminates the rag joint), but am not sure it will clear completely either. Is there anything else I can do? Craig and I did install new ES mounts when we did the headers. Also, fastTA/ponyBoy/SanFranGuy/whatever-the-heck-he's-going-by-this-hour suggested shimming the motor mounts lol. Would this be a good idea? Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

I am not holding my breath for my name to ever stay the same!

Hec, Ken can't even spell fastTA right!

Comment

lol no comment

But, does anyone know any other way give some extra clearance between the header and the steering shaft? What can I adjust?
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
        lol no comment

But, does anyone know any other way give some extra clearance between the header and the steering shaft? What can I adjust?
        Got a hammer?

How about a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Got a hammer?

How about a pic?
          Ummmm, no hammer please . I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.
          Steve

Comment

Ummmm, no hammer please . I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.
            I'm tellin ya....shim the k-member stand on one side and clamshell on the other. Or if you are too lazy to do that , there are shops that can make you a custom steering shaft.

Comment

Ugh, I really don't wanna mess with the motor mounts right now lol. Call me lazy..whatever lol

Ok, here's some pics...

I couldn't really get a better angle at this point without bringing the Z into the garage and jacking it up. But, you can still see where its rubbing.
              Steve

Comment

You could pull the steering shaft and clearance it with a dremel.

Comment

Dude, ive been having the same problem for about 3 years and it really hasnt affected anything...

Comment

Originally posted by paxton350
                    Dude, ive been having the same problem for about 3 years and it really hasnt affected anything...
                    ...?

Ok...but that doesn't mean I don't want to fix it if possible. I didn't pay all this money for the headers and misc. parts for this project just to have this problem.
                    Steve

Comment

...?

Ok...but that doesn't mean I don't want to fix it if possible. I didn't pay all this money for the headers and misc. parts for this project just to have this problem.

Ok but im just giving you some input... i mean ive had the same slight rubbing issue onto the manifold for about 3 seasons and like i said it hasnt affected anything... but if you want to spend all the time and effort to dremel it out and clearance it go right ahead im just letting you know my expirience with this problem 3 years down the line for you...

Comment

Steve just needs to put the Crispy Creme down and shim the mounts or get a custom shaft made!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
                          Steve just needs to put the Crispy Creme down and shim the mounts or get a custom shaft made!
                          Bah..... a slight grind with a dremel and it will be just fine. You may try shifting the base of the steering column, but that's a longshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            Bah..... a slight grind with a dremel and it will be just fine. You may try shifting the base of the steering column, but that's a longshot.
                            The first thing I told him to do was grind the rag joint couplers down. But does Stev-O listen?...........Nooooooooooooooo!

I think he said it was rubbing pretty bad though. May need the motor shimmed.

Comment

Its not that bad, and its not near the rag joint. Its on the smallest area, only only rubs on the rounded areas, not the flat, thinner areas. So, maybe a 1/4" at most. I was looking at the column and it looked like it was sitting slightly toward the pass. side (not angled). So, there may be enough there to get it to clear.

Geez, you guys are ruthless to me lol j/k
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X