Clutch options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch options

Time for a new clutch. I am looking at the SPEC stage 1. Is there anything else comparable in performance/price? Does SLP still have a clutch for the LT1?

Thanks

Ryan
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

I see the flywheel on SLP's website, but not the disk, pressure plate or throwout bearing. Try giving them a call.

Honestly, I'd get a SPEC stage 2 if I was changing clutches again.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have a Spec II and I highly recommend it. My car is stock motor with nitrous, and it works perfectly for me. It's not too grabby yet has good pedal feel, much better than stock. It's kinda weird to get used to because it grabs so well, but it's not like a switch like the Spec III and IV are on the LT1 cars. It's a very good balance for a daily driver.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I had a SPEC stage II and I hated it. It was not parallel and caused a major driveline vibration. I had to switch the SLP clutch disc.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Honestly, I'd get a SPEC stage 2 if I was changing clutches again.
          Ditto. I put in a stage 3, and I wish I'da gone S2. Stage 3 is too grabby/strippy for me. Stage 2 in my other car feels awesome.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            Ditto. I put in a stage 3, and I wish I'da gone S2. Stage 3 is too grabby/strippy for me. Stage 2 in my other car feels awesome.
            Raro i completely agree with you... This season i swapped out my burnt centerforce and stock flywheel for a spec 3 clutch and forged flywheel... Not only do i still get clutch chatter in reverse but it sacrifices alot of driveability on the street due to the agressiveness of it... I will praise it for holding the power though without a doubt but if this is going in your daily driver making under 300hp i would highly recommend probably the slp or spec 2...

Comment

I'd go with a SPEC or a RAM. Both make awesome clutches. Since you say your car is mostly stock, a Stage 2 should hold fine. IMO even the Stage 3 engages much like stock IF installed properly. The majority of clutches are not.

The Stage 2 engages very smooth and should work fine with a stock or bolt-on car.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
                I'd go with a SPEC or a RAM. Both make awesome clutches. Since you say your car is mostly stock, a Stage 2 should hold fine. IMO even the Stage 3 engages much like stock IF installed properly. The majority of clutches are not.

The Stage 2 engages very smooth and should work fine with a stock or bolt-on car.
                If the one they send you is not defective. Good luck.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

SPEC has for a long time and continues to sell about 4 times the clutches of any other clutch manufacturer out there. Every car part manufacturer has some bad apples...that's just the way it is with any manufacturing business in the universe. Since SPEC sells about 4 times the clutches, it will appear as if you are hearing a few more complaints in regards to SPEC than the other smaller clutch manufacturers. It's the same with Comp Cams for example. More often than not, the internet horror stories you hear about any clutch manufacturer are the result of an improperly installed clutch/flywhel.

If Jeff actually was sent a bad clutch/flywheel, that was a very isolated case and is definitely NOT the norm for a clutch coming from SPEC. SPEC continues to win awards, and holds up for many seasons in some of the most powerful cars in the world. I have SPEC's in several high HP cars and beat the piss out of them. Never a single problem.

I have also dealt with many of their employees from top to bottom, and they are a family oriented great bunch of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                    If the one they send you is not defective. Good luck.
                    I'm afraid I have to agree with this statement. The Stage II kit that I had professionally installed on my 97 failed in less than 10K miles.

From a previous post: http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17779

Originally posted by SNeitzel
                    Originally posted by Flamin' bird
                    ....the Spec Stage 3 started slipping at just 10k miles (1.5 yrs old) .......... that Spec was surely toast. It was so bad that the pressure plate had chewed the flywheel all up from the rivets and the disk of course was paper thin.

I had a very similar experience with my SPEC Stage 2. Started to hear noise and noticed slippage. Took it in and my 13 month old, less than 10K miles Spec clutch, PPlate and Al Flywheel were all toast. Same symptom as you. Disk worn down to the rivets on both sides and had chewed up the PPlate and flywheel.

I returned them to SPEC for review and when they called me back the guy said they didn't find anything wrong. The clutch disk was worn evenly, not warped, not damaged it was just at the end of its life. When I told him the parts had less than 10K on a stock drivetrain he said oh, that's not right, something must have happened. They did replace everything with new parts for $100 but since I needed my car immediately I had to have different parts installed and now have a nice new Stage II kit sitting on the garage floor.

Anyone else have problems with SPEC?

I had the Stage II installed in September '04 I believe. I don't remember when I first noticed the noise but it was similar to that of the TO bearing going out. I'd get a low pitched rattle in N with my foor off of the clutch. If I depressed the pedal it would stop mostly but I could still hear it a little. I noticed the slippage mainly when I was at speed trying to accelerate. ie. going 35 in 3rd, foot off the clutch and when I'd step on the gas to merge or pass the engine would rev a little and eventually the clutch would kick in. I took it in to be looked at in October 05 and got the bad news.

As far as my dealings with SPEC go, I guess I was lucky. They offered a warranty replacement which was a brand new clutch and PPlate and new inserts in my rebalanced Al flywheel.
                    I will say that SPEC did make things right eventually by repalcing all the parts with new (clutch disk and PPlate) or like new refurbished (resurfaced AL Flywheel) parts for $100. But since I needed my car fixed immediately that did nothing to offset the cost of my having to buy another kit and have the clutch etc replaced again. What it does mean is I have $1000 worth of parts sitting in my garage that I'm not sure I trust if/when my clutch fails again.
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I have the SPEC III and love it so far for the street or racing.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
                      KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

I bought the Spec Stage II. Didn't see any other options in the price range. I am getting it professionally installed. I hope it works out. I will let you all know once it is done.

Ryan
                        96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

So which Spec stage 2 exactly?

I see two here. This car is a daily driver with a little more kick. Mostly stock, so I'll prolly go with this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

But there is also this one:
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...spagenameZWD1V

But the clutch disk on that one looks whacked.

Was there any problems / tricks to installing this clutch? I image the exhast would have to come out. But winter is approaching...

Comment

Originally posted by circut
                            I see two here. This car is a daily driver with a little more kick. Mostly stock, so I'll prolly go with this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

But there is also this one:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...spagenameZWD1V

But the clutch disk on that one looks whacked.

Was there any problems / tricks to installing this clutch? I image the exhast would have to come out. But winter is approaching...
                            Why oh why are you looking to buy a clutch off ebay???

Save yourself the trouble, and buy a new one from a reputable aftermarket f-body parts company.

Comment

Just prices and I can find pictures / model #'s easier. Who said I was gonna buy one ;>

Comment

Working...
                              X