black crap around exhaust tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black crap around exhaust tips

Well this isn't anything new but i am starting to get annoyed by it...I wash my car, including the tips, maybe once a week. And within that week, the tips get VERY black on the bottom half. Is this normal? I'm worried that i'm running rich, but i don't know...can you guys help me out?

Thanks, Ryan.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Mine too. I think its pretty normal. You might want to try Zaino polish or clear coat the tips after a good cleaning.
    I've clear coated mine and the chrome has held up pretty good.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

I think it's pretty normal. My Corsa's get the same thing. Keeping a good polish on them makes it wipe right off.

I've just gotten into the habit of wiping them off at the gas station while the gold is pumping.

Comment

yeah me too... and i know my cars not running rich cause the service engine soon light is on for running to lean
        2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
        current mods.....
        3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
        1979 10th anniversary ta
        yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

Comment

Same here....it happens on the stock pipes too. when the car was brand new I did not see it...but slowly, over time, the black appeared and seems to be growing...VERY slowly. its all around the tip of the pipes. I've actually got a photo that I took when the car was about 2 years old that shows the pipes and it did not appear or else was very minor. I should take a picture now and post a comparison...

I wonder what causes it. It does not come off.
          Bruce
          01 Camaro

Comment

I got black tips so no big deal.
            Blazer

Comment

I have a borla and the tips on the edge get purple but is easily polishes off.
              I LOVE COBRA'S -
              THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

good its not just me then....i just hate the look of dirty tips....just nasty
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Originally posted by 01Y87
                  I wonder what causes it. It does not come off.
                  its carbon. if its the inside, take a lil simple green and a brush and brush it, it will come off, that how i got my boss 68 camaro's tailpipes clean
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                    its carbon. if its the inside, take a lil simple green and a brush and brush it, it will come off, that how i got my boss 68 camaro's tailpipes clean
                    actually i just wipe them clean with a rag and some water...comes right off. If I use some kind of cleaner, it gives them a little bit of shine but i never have trouble getting them clean....its just keeping them clean thats difficult.
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

haha yea mine are black on the inside but polished on the outside, my biggest problem is gettin the rubber off my tail pipes
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                      X