Brakes locking up!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes locking up!!!

Lately my brakes have been not feeling normal and they've been locking up. I had to press my brake hard, but i didn't slam them, and my car completely skidded and the brakes locked up! This happened to me 3 times in one day.. it also says "ABS INOP" on my dash sooo what does this mean??? do i need new brakes or what?
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

mine did that about a year or two ago...in my case it was the brake control module that went bad. if im not mistaken it was around 300 bux....but maybe youll get lucky and itll be something simple like a bad speed sensor.
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

yea i was hoping it wasn't anything big, but if it's something big like that module, i was thinking i'd just get new rotors and pads while i'm at it. also to note, when i'm slowing down and pressing the brake lightly it seems like the brakes are grabbing unevenly, it feels like the brakes are going on and off.
      1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

Just do a quick check of the sensors, mine became unplugged in my cadillac...just plugged it back in and it was fixed...hope its that easy for you
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline
        2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

where are the sensors located at?? it also may be my pads because my brakes are squeaking a bit too

Comment

They should be near the caliper...and now that i think about it, it might not be the sensor it self that gets unplugged...but just the connection for the wire. Either way you would notice if its unplugged. Mine was just dangling there, i'm lucky it didn't get caught on something that was spinning.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

okay soo is it just a sensor that plugs into the caliper?? that must mean i'll have to take my wheels off to get to it right?

Comment

the ABS INOP light means the anti-lock brake system is not working. something caused a fault. get it scanned then go from there. the wheel speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing. there should be a connector on the spindle. doesnt mean u need new brakes. u just got a ABS problem. go get it scanned(any shop can do it)
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

oh so i can get it scanned? there's a GM dealership nearby, so they can probably do. is this going to be an expensive fix?

Comment

when my light first came on, both an independent shop and the local pontiac dealership said it was a front right wheel speed sensor, and said in order to replace it that the hub would have to be changed as well...so i passed on it and just dealt with it for a while. Once some money became available, i got a 3rd opinion...took it to the buick dealer, they checked it and said it was not the speed sensor and the ABS module was bad. after they changed it, i havent had a lick of problem with it. But like anyone else would suggest, have it scanned and go with the small cheap stuff unless you absolutely have to.
                    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

yes u can get it scanned. just beware, u just cant go to auto zone, as the ABS is program all its own, so ur gonna have to dish out the coin. but its better then shooting from the hip
                      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                      X