finally found the cause of my idling probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally found the cause of my idling probs

in some of my earlier post i mentioned i had some idling problems, first did my plugs, then after taking out the throttle body and IAC module and cleaning them, i ended up with a too high rpm. Today i did some checking again and pure coincidentally my finger just bumped into a hose of the EVAP system with a big hole in it. (So big my index finger just fitted into that hole)
    this hose conntects to the valve solenoid (block bleeding i guess), located at the driver side, just under the hose that is coming from that big brake drum. i guess some big butT rat just chewed this big hole is this hose, and that was causing the high hissing i always heard in the motor, but never found the cause of it. also maybe that foul smell i smelled after starting the motor. i replaced the hose, and my idling seems now perfect. starts, goes to 1200rpm, dropping sharp back to 900 rpm. i even noticed the motor block runs now stable at starting, no more vigourously shaking for some minutes.
    thank you all for your inputs at my earlier posts.

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Doesn't that feel good when you find the problem you're looking for and it's a simple fix?

Gotta love that . . . . .!
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

a hose of the EVAP system with a big hole in it. (So big my index finger just fitted into that hole00) this hose conntects to the valve solenoid (block bleeding i guess), located at the driver side, just under the hose that is coming from that big brake drum.
      Just to clarify for anyone doing a "search" on a similar problem, the only "solenoid" on the driver's side, near the back of the intake manifold, is the EGR vaccum solenoid. Is that where you found the damaged vacuum line?

The EVAP solenoid is on the passenger side, toward the middle of the intake manifold, and connects by vacuum line to the passenger side of the throttle body.

From Shoebox's online Tech Pages:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

can someone help me with this one, did some searching on shoebox, but cannot find the name of this valve.
        the valve goes into the motorblock at the passenger side. there are three hoses/motorblock connections close together. the upper one goes to the brake drum. the middle hose (small hose) goes backwards to the driver compartment.
        the lowest hose is connected to a valve, this valve can be taken out by just pulling it out. the hose connected to it goes to the front of the engine, and dissappears just below the throttle body.
        this valve had the hose with a big hole in it. i thought it was part of the EVAP, but it seems i'm wrong.

Comment

i just found it finally on shoebox. its the PCV valve. in my case there is a piece of rubber L hose before it attached to the valve.

Comment

Originally posted by marlon95
            can someone help me with this one, did some searching on shoebox, but cannot find the name of this valve.
            the valve goes into the motorblock at the passenger side. there are three hoses/motorblock connections close together. the upper one goes to the brake drum. the middle hose (small hose) goes backwards to the driver compartment.
            the lowest hose is connected to a valve, this valve can be taken out by just pulling it out. the hose connected to it goes to the front of the engine, and dissappears just below the throttle body.
            this valve had the hose with a big hole in it. i thought it was part of the EVAP, but it seems i'm wrong.
            What are you referring to when you say "motorblock"? Are you talking about the intake manifold?

Comment

but cannot find the name of this valve.
              i just found it finally on shoebox. its the PCV valve. in my case there is a piece of rubber L hose before it attached to the valve.
              The PCV valve is NOT on the passenger side of the intake. The only "solenoid" on the passenger side is the EVAP purge solenoid. Shoebox has a large photo of it:

None of the thing you have mentioned so far go to the "motor block".

PCV valve on driver's side of intake. That hose routes to the front of the engine, connecting to the intake manifold under the throttle body:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

you are correct, i made two errors, motorblock should be intake manifold, and the passenger side should be driver side. on the photo the pcv valve can be seen. that's the valve with a piece of rubber hose attached to it which caused me so much trouble. thanks again for sorting things for me out.

Comment

Working...
                X