emissions SUCK!! ;P

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emissions SUCK!! ;P

hey i was just wondering because everybody says that long tube headers wont pass smog... yet there are a couple of brands like JET-HOT and pacesetter who still put all the emmisions stuff on there headers like O2 bungees and stuff... is this because they are smog legal? And if not why waste the time, cause wont they just set of the "bells and whistles" on the car like SES?

Also I live in the emissions nazi state of california and if there arent any long tubes that will pass smog, are shorty's worth the money? I know there all about flow so if you buy a better down tube and high flow cats is it worth it then? just wondering.... thanks again guys!!!!
    2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
    current mods.....
    3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
    1979 10th anniversary ta
    yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

To be legal in CA, the headers must have a CARB-EO emissions exemption tag affixed to them. That would be evidence that the manufacturer did emissions testing to prove they did not impact emissions. The approved headers would have to replicate all the stock emissions connections.. O2 sensors, AIR connections, EGR connection.

"Long tubes" complicate things, IF they relocate the cats. It is a violation of Fedral law to move the cats from their stock position. The LT1 long tubes, for example, ALL relocate the cat (or cats on the 96/97 models), so they are technically illegal. It is completely possible to add all the required emissions connections, and its quite likely that they would pass a tailpipe test, but because they relocate the cats, under FEDERAL law they are illegal for use in any state. CA just happens to be one of the states that actually enforces the FEDERAL requirements.

I don't know the details of the LS1 engine cat locations, but I suspect the long tubes move them further from the engine, and that would by definition make them emissions illegal.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well as much as that sucks just let me be the first to say thank you injuneer... you have been nothing but help to me ever since i have joined this forum, and its good honest knowledgeable people like you who make these forums so helpful.... thank you very much!!!!!
      current mods.....
      3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Originally posted by birdOFprey
        hey i was just wondering because everybody says that long tube headers wont pass smog... yet there are a couple of brands like JET-HOT and pacesetter who still put all the emmisions stuff on there headers like O2 bungees and stuff... is this because they are smog legal? And if not why waste the time, cause wont they just set of the "bells and whistles" on the car like SES?

Also I live in the emissions nazi state of california and if there arent any long tubes that will pass smog, are shorty's worth the money? I know there all about flow so if you buy a better down tube and high flow cats is it worth it then? just wondering.... thanks again guys!!!!

I feel sorry for all you guys who live in the "NAZI STATE OF CALIFORNIA".
        The liberal capital of this country. Notice how big brother is controling more and more of our lives. Who knows whats next.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Vince
          I feel sorry for all you guys who live in the "NAZI STATE OF CALIFORNIA".
          The liberal capital of this country.
          Hey it might suck that our emissions laws are "wack" but there is no other place Like California. Thats for damn sure... ha ha
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Hey it might suck that our emissions laws are "wack" but there is no other place Like California. Thats for damn sure... ha ha
            Seriously. Yeah, the emissions laws suck, but so what? There's always a downside to wherever you live. So stowe the sarcastic sentiments Dave and save the conspiracy theories for the spam section.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
              Seriously. Yeah, the emissions laws suck, but so what? There's always a downside to wherever you live. So stowe the sarcastic sentiments Dave and save the conspiracy theories for the spam section.
              I agree we need some sort of emission laws or we will keep killing ourselves in the long run
              I LOVE COBRA'S -
              THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Now you know why I moved to Florida instead!

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
                  I agree we need some sort of emission laws or we will keep killing ourselves in the long run
                  Agreed, but there needs to be some logic behind the laws, and that's lacking here in CA. I know of many parts for just my 3 that should be legal but aren't due to the sheer fact that the companies don't think it prudent to pay $50,000 for a stupid sticker...and I can't say I blame them.

Originally posted by fastTa
                  Now you know why I moved to Florida instead!
                  Yeah, cause that was the reason
                  Steve

Comment

why don't you try mid-lengths? They are supposed to be legal even with the cat relocation thing right? Plus they would out perform shorties and be almost as good as long-tubes. Just another option
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Yeah, cause that was the reason
                      Maybe, I should have moved out there.....then I could have put on the rear girdle cover for you and got my stock cover by now!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
                        Maybe, I should have moved out there.....then I could have put on the rear girdle cover for you and got my stock cover by now!
                        Yeah, you should have...but you didn't...loser lol

Mid-lengths are a great choice for a street-legal header. They don't relocate the cats and have all necessary emissions fittings in most cases. Outside of some of the clearance issues (and the lack of customer support), Pacesetter makes a decent set of mids.
                        Steve

Comment

Yeah, you should have...but you didn't...loser lol

Mid-lengths are a great choice for a street-legal header. They don't relocate the cats and have all necessary emissions fittings in most cases. Outside of some of the clearance issues (and the lack of customer support), Pacesetter makes a decent set of mids.

I really like the pacesetter price... thank you all for your input
                          current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

also do you know if they will fit to the 3" flowmaster Y pipe? or will i need to muy a new one?
                            current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Emissions...

I gotta go by Dec 15th..

Not sure what I'm going to do. I have no emissions equipment, a 3" turbo-back exhaust, no cat, 272 cams, etc..

hahaha..

dam.
                              99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Working...
                              X