No announcement yet.

Power steering making horible noise....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering making horible noise....

Ok, a while back, I got in the car and started it and turned the wheel to back out of my parking spot and the power steering made this horrible sound like a large wooden table being slid across a tile floor. Like a BRRRRRRMMMM. So I checked the fluid and it was pretty low, so I added some and sure enough, it went away. Well, yesterday it started making the same noise again, only this time there is plenty of fluid in it. It went away after a while, but I know it is only a sign of future trouble. Does anyone know what this could be? There was no added resistance to the wheel and it only did it while sitting still and turning the wheel almost to lock in either direction. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

i kno ford pumps make that nosie since new(my dads t-bird) there was prob. some air sitll in the system and it finally bled out. but just check to make sure u dont got a leak somewhere. and take out some powersteering fluid and add the lucas stuff and see if that helps at all. mine makes noise when lock to lock but thats just cause its old lol
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
      Ok, a while back, I got in the car and started it and turned the wheel to back out of my parking spot and the power steering made this horrible sound like a large wooden table being slid across a tile floor. Like a BRRRRRRMMMM. So I checked the fluid and it was pretty low, so I added some and sure enough, it went away. Well, yesterday it started making the same noise again, only this time there is plenty of fluid in it. It went away after a while, but I know it is only a sign of future trouble. Does anyone know what this could be? There was no added resistance to the wheel and it only did it while sitting still and turning the wheel almost to lock in either direction. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
      Try this...it worked on my friends Camaro. Drain the resevior by unhooking the hose that leads to the rack...and refill it with new, preferably synthetic, power steering fluid with Lucas additive...it should fix the hmmm. You might have to do it a couple of time because of the remaining old fluid in your system...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

i agree .. drain it all out ... and add synthetic with lucas ... it worked wonders for me and was inexpensive enough
        1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will give that a try. Can I get that Lucas stuff at Autozone?

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
            Can I get that Lucas stuff at Autozone?
            Sure can...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
            X