No announcement yet.

brakes pull to the right ... any tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes pull to the right ... any tips?

so we bleed the brakes and it pulls to the right. I can't understand why because we got ride of all of the air in the system. the front calipers and pads are new. rear is drums and those are fine. i mustve done something wrong. any tips anyone is willing to share? i hate bleeding brakes ... i can change anything on them but i suck at bleeding them. thank you
    1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Also check the air pressures in your front tires. Just a few pounds low can make the car pull to one side while braking.

Comment

Did you clamp the hose, loosen the bleeder and collapse the piston or did you just push the fluid back up into the master cylinder? If you did just push it back in you could have pushed a piece of trash up into the proportioning valve or the ABS unit if equipped which can hang in the line and cause it to pull. A friend of mine has a 94 Chevy truck that the dealer did that to and it took several years to figure it out. He has to take all the connections loose and back flush everything to fix it. What a PITA it was too.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I didn't believe it was possible either, but on an older car (89 bird) I once didn't seat the brake fluid reservior seal quite right (older GM ones were a kinda a pita) and it got pretty messy.

Ended up getting junk lodged in one of the caliper brake lines. An evidently talented brake shop dude figured this out first go at it and everything was ok again after replacing that line.

The brakes didn't pull consistently during steady pressure - but if you stabbed the brakes it'd jerk noticeably.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Did you relube the sliding pins? Stuck piston? After a drive, carefully see if one caliper is hotter than the other...that could be indication that one caliper is failing or stuck. I had a stuck caliper on the driveside that made the car pull left.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
            Did you relube the sliding pins? Stuck piston? After a drive, carefully see if one caliper is hotter than the other...that could be indication that one caliper is failing or stuck. I had a stuck caliper on the driveside that made the car pull left.
            That is a good diagnostic procedure as well. I use my infrared thermometer to check each side's caliper and rotor temp. You can even tell which pad (inside/outside) is doing more work if any.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
              I use my infrared thermometer to check each side's caliper and rotor temp.
              See...we're not all that fortunate as Kevin. Some of us have to rely on more less technological advanced equipment like our sense of touch. LOL!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Christopherrr
                See...we're not all that fortunate as Kevin. Some of us have to rely on more less technological advanced equipment like our sense of touch. LOL!
                Harbor Freight Tools - $40. Girls go shopping for shoes, and I go to Harbor Freight! LOL

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91778

Comment

i'd like to thank everyone for the quick responses and tips. i am gonna give everything everyone mentioned a shot and hopefully it all works out. Thankx again

Comment

does it pull right and stay right? if not, check to see if one drum is adjusted lil too tight or too loose
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

speeds over 20 mph will make her pull to the right ... i will be checkin all components in the next coiuple of days. thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X