Electrical Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problems

This has been giving me fits off and on and I'm kind of lost. Maybe someone else has had this problem and can relay a solution. My power windows and radio occasionally stop working. Everything else works fine; car runs, other lights work, etc. Just the radio/CD and windows. After a few miles when I hit a bump, everything starts working again just fine. It only happens occasionally, but since I've sold the car (not yet delivered), I would like to give the new owner a solution. Local dealer quoted $70.00 to do a "pin test"?? Any ideas?? BTW, the radio is the stock (non Monsoon) with single CD player.
    2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
    buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
    Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

No expert here for sure, but it could be a number of things.

There is something call the RAP module, located under the dash on teh drivers side, that has to do with the auto off on the lights and such, and also teh power door locks that might be causing this. Also, don't be offended, but could it be a loose fuse? The radio and windiows are often on teh same fuse-perhaps it's loose or something. Lastly, could be a pinched wire or soemthing somewhere.

Just a few ideas to look into from a no-electrical expert average driver
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Agreed - most likely the RAP (retained accessory power) module, since that's what provides power to the power windows, radio and convertible top to allow them to operate for 10 minutes after you turn the key to "off", or open a door.

Shoebox has a photo of the RAP module:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X