Need some parts suggestions/help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some parts suggestions/help

I have decided to go with a 383 stroker, around 8-10 psi boost(powerdyne for now),lloyd elliot stage 2 heads.I am going to use hooker super comp long tubes with 3'' true dual exhaust in frt of the axle.I am leaning toward the borla xr-1 mufflers but im afraid they will be too loud,im not afraid of loud but does anyone have a suggestion of anything as good thats maybe not so loud?I have a loudmouth now and its pretty loud,would the borlas be worse than what i have?Also i have been using the accel high heat 8mm plug wires for about 8000 miles and they have worked fine.Is there any need to change to something else?Thanks for any ideas or help.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Here's a dyno pull with an exhaust system similar to what you describe....Borla XR-1 on each collector and a 3" pipe back toward the axles. Headers are not long tubes though.... AS&M mid-lengths with a modified collector on the drivers side to it flows straight back instead of in front of the oil pan.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/Videos/N2ODyno.WMV

And here's a blower motor with Borla XR-1's on the collectors of custom Lemons headers, and no pipes.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/Video...eBax%20876.WMV
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks man,those sound great.They are a bit louder than my loudmouth but a true dual will be louder anyways i would guess.Do you or anyone else have a suggestion for maybe a little quieter muffler that will still flow good.I really liek those borlas though.How much boost is he using on that camaro?That thing was a rocket ship!!Both cars sunded good though, im really leanin towards those,are they pretty loud inside the car?Thanks for all the help!
      95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Comment

I don't think my car is that loud inside..... at least until you go WOT. It was "loud" in a different way when I was running the Borlas, plus a Y-pipe, plus a Mufflex 4" (Flowmater version) catback. It was a lot deeper sound, and had a rally annoying resonance at about 2,500rpm that would make my chest throb. I've driven it on the street with only the Borlas (no exhaust pipes) and the noise in the car is deafening, and everything in the interior rattles continuously.

You can get longer versions of the Borlas..... mine are 12" long. I also bought a pair of the Dynatech 3" turndowns with the noise reduction cones in them, but I've never tried installing them or measuring the noise reduction. Our local track (Englishtown, NJ) is ridiculous with noise, requiring all cars to have mufflers, mufflers can not be straight through, and must have at least 3 baffles, exhaust pipes must extend past the end of the driver's door. And the noise level can not exceed 90dB @ 100-ft under full throttle. I guess its the only way than can avoid the big lawsuits from the people who built their multi-million $$$ McMansions next to a track that had been there for forty years. They do a screening test in "tech", making you rev it to 5,000rpm. Then they measure again when you are on the track, but I don't understand how they compensate for the fact that there are two cars making noise.

The 30th SS was running 20+# of boost with a Vortech blower, on a 383ci Dart Iron Eagle block, and making about 1,325HP. It used 4" Borlas. He had dynoed a large number of different mufflers, some costing as much as $500/each, and it seemed like the more the mufflers cost, the worse power the engine made. The Borlas were definitely the best. The video was only the second pass with the new engine... the first pass got aborted when the wheelie bars hit the terminals on the rear mounted battery, and caused a bit of an electrical problem. We just took the bars off and it never used them again.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks again,im gonna go with the borla,most likely the 12'' or 15''.I cant wait to get everything going.

Comment

Working...
          X