Best exhaust for the LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best exhaust for the LT1

I'm looking into buying new exhaust for my 95 z28, i'm looking for something loud theres so many different systems out there I don't know what to use. I'm getting a cheap deal on hooker exhaust, has anyone used it? Hooker, Loudmouth, Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Pacesetter, Random Technologys, Banks Stinger ect. Whats your opinion

If you just want loud...put a $30.00 cut out on.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Hooker is a nice system. Its not real loud, but a nice rumble. Dont know about power gains though. I have a Borla system. Its nice because you can adjust the sound and volume by switching restrictor plates.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

SLP Loud Mouth......lives up to its name, and flows very good too
        DWS
        Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

SLP Loudmouth for me. Just got mine on saturday at SLP Day. I wanted it the second I heard it, believe me you will know the difference.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Well man i got a Flo and no cat and it sounds pretty mean. Im lookin at a X-pipe and tru dual flo's. Do u know anybodyt hats got this setup? I was wondeirn about prices.

Comment

I second the cut out.
              97 SS #C007
              Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
              SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

If you want to do an x-pipe and dual flows, you are going to have to swap that '95 for a 1st gen or 2nd gen.

The largest/most aggressive thing you will fit under your car is a dual 3' y-pipe that squeezes down to 4" exhaust out the rear. Mufflex makes a great kit for this. I have it on my car, it is really nice and quiet at idle but gets really loud when you get into the throttle. I am actually looking for ways to quiten mine down at the moment.

Unless you are making 425/450+ HP, I would suggest their 3 inch or 3.5 inch kit. This will make power and sound nice...

Comment

Loudmouth all the way...

I have the SLP Loudmouth and SLP y-pipe. Serious seat of the pants feel, and the sound is amazing...unless of course you have a wife/girlfriend that likes to talk a lot when you go somewhere....My 95 puts down 282hp at the wheels with this setup. (among other freebiw mods)

caution...it will set off car alarms if you start it in a parking garage...but its worth the smile.

Jason.

Comment

I have the SLP Loudmouth and SLP y-pipe.
                    Too bad you live that far West of the city. I live East of Oshawa. Sure would like to hear an LT1 with a Loudmouth in person.

I'm kinda torn between the LM and the Borla. I like the price and the lighter setup of the LM but am kind of worried that it is too loud.

That's where the Borla comes in handy with the possibility of adjustment.

Which one to choose
                    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The LM is not that bad at idle. I went from TOTL to LM and the LM was not too much louder at idle. It was definately a noticable difference but into higher RPM it's a different story, I love it. But to do it again I would have saved the money and gone with a cutout along with my headers.
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

My vote...

I have to say the Borla. I have had it for approximately 4 years now...absolutely love it. I will be adding the Quick Time electric cutout for absolute tuneability/sound modification. The Borla is pricey, but top-o-the-line stainless.
                        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Borla is pricey, but I got a good deal at www.thunderacing.com.

I've been playing around with the blocking plates and it's really nice to be able to change the sound. I threw on the solid blockout yesterday. Boy did it get quiet....but that's nice if you have a long highway trip and don't want to have to wear ear protection!

Incidently, what's the link to that electric adjustable plate???
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Follow the link...

Take your pick...

Quick Time Performance

McCord Power Plate
                            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Just a note, nothing against the Borla, its very raspy and poppy, especially if you pull out the plates....

the electronically adjustable feature sounds really cool....

Comment

Working...
                              X